Pages


Monday, October 21, 2013

Hereafter by Kate Brian

Hereafter
(Shadowlands, #2)
by Kate Brian
Released |October 1st 2013 by Disney-Hyperion|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley|

Add to Goodreads
Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family needed. For the first time in years she and her sister hang out at the beach, gossip about boys, and party together. She's also made friends with a local clique--including a magnetic and mysterious boy named Tristan.
But Rory's world is about to change again. Picturesque Juniper Landing isn't what it seems. The truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning, the bridge that leads to nowhere, and those beautiful locals who seem to watch Rory's every move is more terrifying than being hunted by Steven Nell. And all Rory ever wanted was the truth. Even if it means learning that she can never go home again. From the best-selling author of the Private and Privilege series comes the second novel in a heart-stopping trilogy about a girl who must pick up the pieces after the only life she's ever known ends.

I found Hereafter to be a fast paced read. It's was filled with a ton of fast paced and action packed moments that leave you with a feeling of anticipation. I thought the book was suspenseful, but it was also a light read all the same. I was really excited to back into this world on Juniper Landing because the ending of the first book left me curious and confused and I wanted to know what exactly was going on. In this installment, Rory and her friends have noticed that things are going wrong in Juniper. Things are happening that are inexplicable and she wants to know why. But Rory also has found out information that she can't reveal to her family. So the secrets began! (Okay... So that's the best I could do without giving any spoilers. I thought the characters were pretty interesting in this book. I really like Rory's personality and I really liked seeing more of the other characters.


I love going on the adventures with these books trying to find out who the bad guy is. But with this book, I had already had the guess in mind. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but I had already guessed it. I think that's one of the main issues I had with this book. I found it to be very predictable at times. Even though I enjoyed the story, having already guessed the ending takes away from the mystery and the fun. I also have mixed feelings about the romance. I don't dislike it, but I'm not really connecting with it. But I do think these series has been enjoyable and I would definitely recommend giving them a try if you like mystery books :) I still can't wait to read book three to see what happens next because nothing was really resolved at the end of this installment.

7 comments:

  1. Predictability is certainly an issue, and one I always have trouble forgiving. But I also keep in mind that it's super hard to surprise me because of the sheer number of books I read every year.
    I started the first book but was not thrilled. Perhaps I should give it another chance.
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you give it another try, I hop;e you enjoy it more this time around!

      Delete
  2. When I pick up books like this I don't want to be able to guess how it will end - that's why I don't have much patience them, I usually end up disappointed. I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Great review, Janina.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like when your guessing, you hope your wrong by the time you get to the end of the book lol

      Delete
  3. I like Glass love I need to work my brain to guess how it will end. I don't like predictability so I guess I'd mind that a lot. Everything else sounds great. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do. My mind is always trying to figure things out, but in the end I always hope that I'm off. Especially with mysteries!

      Delete
  4. I love the covers in this series! I have to look for the first one at my library

    ReplyDelete