Pages


Monday, August 18, 2014

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

The Hunt
(The Hunt, #1)
by Andrew Fukuda
Released | December 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin|
Edition |Paperback|

Add to Goodreads
Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.
Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.
When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?
I've been wanting to read the Hunt for quite some time now and I finally decided to pick it up. I thought the book was an interesting read. Gene is the main character and he's a human living among the vampires. Vampires are in charge and humans are practically extinct. If they're out there, they're hiding or trying to blend in. And that's what Gene is doing. He's trying to blend in with the vampires, but one wrong move could be his last. So he had to be extremely careful about everything that he did.


I thought Gene was a strong character be able to survive in the world that he lived all by himself. His father taught him the best he could, but he ended up not making it (that not really a spoiler). Even though I liked Gene, I couldn't fully connect with his character and the same goes for Ashley. She's another character that we get to know along the way. During the story, the actual hunt comes about and Gene is chosen to be apart it. This is suppose to be the biggest hunt because the hunters are hunting down the last of the humans. I really felt for Gene as the we fall deeper and deeper into the hunt and the training. The more he struggled the more I felt  for him. For one thing, there was no water to hide his scent and none to drink. I found that the story really picked up when the hunt came into play. The beginning had a bit of a slower pacing, but picked up as the book continued on.

I don't know if I was feeling the romance all that much because I was hoping that Gene would get to know Sissy a bit more. Ashley wasn't terrible, but I didn't connect with her all that much. Overall, the story was pretty good. I enjoyed the plot and there was some great action and suspense throughout the book and do want to check out the sequel as soon as I'm able to get my hands on it.

8 comments:

  1. Wait there is Sissy and Ashley? That means love triangle or I'm wrong. I really hope that there is not. Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. Great review, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the first one but couldn't get into the next

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this one was okay, but seriously it was such a tough series to read. I didn't feel hooked on it, but happy you gave it a 3 1/2 stars!

    Happy Reading Janina!
    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover looks cool, but I'm not looking to read another paranormal with a meh romance. It doesn't sound very appealing to me, regardless of the world. I'm glad you did find it enjoyable at some parts though!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my cousin just finished this one and had similar thoughts to you! While I do like the idea behind this one I don't know how I feel about reading it myself. I feel like The Prey doesn't really bring anything all that new too the table :( I've been burned so much by this type of genre I've become so picky! LOL great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh I never knew this was male POV! I like the fact that it's the human trying to blend in with the vamps though! Interesting! Sucks that you didn't feel the romance tho! Still excited for this! Great review!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one does sound intriguing...but that's a shame you never fully connected with the characters!

    Thanks for your honest thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it kind of sounds like a bit of a reverse with the humans in hiding and vampires in charge. Usually it's the other way around. Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete