Pages


Friday, December 16, 2011

Guest Review (1) Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

I decided to start doing guest review on my blog. This is a way to check out what other people think of certain book, get to know a little about them, and see some amazing blogs.
First up: Heather from Nightly Reading


About Heather.
Heather is a happily married Mom of 2 daughters and three four legged kids. She began her addiction to reading with the Twilight Saga. Mainly she reads anything in the young adult genre and is always on the lookout for the newest bestseller!

Title: Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Heather's Ratings: 4  Stars

Synopsis:
It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.

Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.

Heather's Thoughts:
I am not even sure where to start with this review? This was a very different take on your average zombies. Nothing like I had read before. There was romance, horror and drama all wrapped into one neat little package. The premise was interesting. Some children changed into zombies, some didn’t? Some people died and some stayed alive? There really was no rhyme or reason to it and that is what these characters were fighting to find out.

Alex was a strong female who would not be told what to do. She had lost her parents in a tragic accident and never really got over it. She decides to take a long hike up the mountain to clear her head and spread her parent’s ashes. This will be the last time that she speaks to her family or feels comfortable with the world around her. When the change happens, she knows that something is different but she cannot figure out what it is. Throughout her travels, she stumbles upon several different characters and finds out what it truly means to love and lose.

This brings me to Ellie. Alex stumbles upon Ellie and her grandpa early on in the book. And can I say that this child needs to be dealt with? What a brat! Granted, she is only 8 or 9, but if my 8-year-old ever talked like this, she would be locked in her room FOREVER! I understand that she is angry because she lost her parents also, but geez.

Hmmm? Tom and Chris…There are two male leads that have a little romance with Alex and I can honestly say that I liked them both. I think that I am leaning toward Chris though. He seemed like he had more of a connection with Alex and I truly believe that he loves her. Tom just seems like it was convenient.

The ending is left with a HUGE cliffhanger and I was left with my heart pitter-patting and jaw hanging to my waist. Then I looked around and said “What the heck?” I did not realize that this was going to be a trilogy and when I did find out, I was overjoyed! I cannot wait to see where the road leads for these characters!

Places To Find Heather:
Nightly Reading (blog)
Twitter
Goodreads

--If you would like to be a part of Synchronized Reading's Guest Reviews, the link is in the right side bar.

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! sounds good though the cover freaks me out O.O he, I Looove Heather's Blog! Great idea to have guest reviews :))

    ReplyDelete