Pages


Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Naturals
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Released |November 5th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley|

Add to Goodreads
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.
What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides— especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.
Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.
Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.
I was so glad for the opportunity to review The Naturals through Netgalley because Jennifer Lynn Barnes is one of my go to authors. Every single book I've read by this author has not disappointed me and this book was no exception. Even though I was excited to read this book, I really didn't know what to expect. The more and more I read, the more and more I found myself being intrigued with the characters and the story line. Each character had their own unique talent that kept me engrossed in the story. And the mystery aspect of the book was awesome. I thought I knew who was doing all the killing, but my thoughts turn out to be wrong! That was the best part :)


The main protagonist Cassie, was an interesting character. She is considered to be a 'profiler'. She has this awesome talent of reading people and knowing the type of person they are. But Cassie had her issues. Her mother was murdered when she was younger and her body was never found. So when Cassie had the chance to work with the FBI she sort of jumped at the opportunity to try and find out more about her mothers death. I liked Cassie and thought she was a pretty good character. And then we have Michael, Dean, Sloan, and Lia. The other 'naturals' who live and work with the FBI along with Cassie. I liked each of these character in their own way. Michael could read emotions, Dean was a profiler like Cassie, Sloan was great at number and statistics, and Lia was great at catching a lie and lying to people in general. Awesome right?! Michael and Dean were the love interests in this book. I liked them both as characters, but I really didn't care to much about the romance. And Sloan pretty funny and kind of adorable in way.

One I would say about this book is that it goes into a lot of details at times which can make the story or a certain scene feel a bit dragged out. And as I said before, I did't really like the romance. But overall, I really enjoyed the story and the mystery. I thought I had it all figured out, but I didn't :) And the book was a very fast paced read. I would definitely recommend the story if you enjoy a mystery.


16 comments:

  1. Sxorry to hear the romance didn't work for you, but glad that the mystery did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The focus was mainly on the mystery and naturals gifts

      Delete
  2. I though about requesting this one but wasn't sure about it. Well the story itself and the whole idea sound really good, but I need romance to work in a book. Somehow everything is better then. Still this sounds like an interesting read. Great review, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mystery aspect, and since I'm a big fan of the show Criminal Minds, I could really dig a book about a profiler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a book that can keep you guessing! I always find I enjoy a book so much more when it surprises me and completely throws what I thought I knew out of the water.

    I don't read a lot of mystery, but I love the supernatural aspect of this, with Cassie being able to instantly know who a person truly is. Definitely a plot I can get behind :)

    Allie @ Little Birdie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really Read mysteries that often but I do love the genre

      Delete
  5. Oh, this book sounds SO good! I've read amazing reviews pretty much everywhere!!! I absolutely can't wait to finally start reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as well :) It was really interesting!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this one, but when I started to feel that love triangle vibe, I was NOT happy at all. And I agree, each of the guys has issues, so maybe she'll ditch them both and find someone new in the next books?
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really with the romance either and i don't know who I liked more anyway!

      Delete
  7. I've seen a lot of positive things about this book! I think I might have to suspend belief, because I usually get annoyed when there are teens that work with law enforcement or anything. But since I know going in what it is about, maybe I will be more okay with it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, the MC sounds really interesting and the story itself seems unique. It's even more awesome that you thought you had this one pegged but then it went and surprised you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked pretty much everything about this book except for the romance-as it became more of a triangle, I just got more upset. Honestly I don't think it even needed any romantic aspects because the writing was so much fun on its own!

    ReplyDelete