Pages


Monday, June 23, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

City of Heavenly Fire 
(the Mortal Instruments, #6)
by Cassandra Clare
Released |May 27th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry|
Edition |Hardcover, 725 pages|

Add to Goodreads
In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!
Oh my! After all these years of being with this series it has finally come to an end and I am extremely sad about it. Luckily, City of Heavenly Fire did not disappoint me in the slightest! This was a massive read with over 700 pages and I was never once bored with the story. This book went beyond any expectation that I had for it. Going into reading it I tried not to be overly excited for it because with final books you never really know what you're going to get. So much happened within the pages, sad moments and happy moments. It was fast paced, action packed, full of romance, decisions, and just everything. This is a must read book if you've been continuing along with this series :) I'd definitely recommend reading it even if you didn't like a couple of books in it.


The characters have been through so much and seeing them for the last time was bittersweet. I loved being around each and every one of them, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, Alec, and Magnus. I get so many feels thinking back the book. There's not much to say on the characters. To me, they were all better than ever and had a lot of weight on their shoulders with the war. We also got to see Emma and Julian in this book and I'm now super excited to read Lady Midnight, the new upcoming series with them. And oh how the Infernal Devices and the Mortal Instruments finally meet in this book. Even though I never made it past Clockwork Angel, I still recognized it and was stoked that the two finally connected, even if it was briefly. The ending was kind of heartbreaking, but it turn out to be pretty good and put a smile back on my face :)

Overall, I loved this series! It has always been a favorite and an automatic go to. Some books were better than others, but for the most part I enjoyed every single book in it. I never thought one was completely terrible. I'm so sad to see it end, but hopefully Lady Midnight will be awesome :)


14 comments:

  1. That is intimidating, an epic, long and much awaited book like this. I totally need to get it and finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the series finally ended! It's been such a long time! I actually dropped the series since it kept dragging and the books took forever to come out, but happy you loved this one Janina!

    Happy Reading
    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long time coming hasn't it?! I feel like I've been reading the series forever :)

      Delete
  3. Hahaha. After all these years indeed :D Yay for a plot that kept you goig until the end. Cassie writes good romance, but it's a little too angsty for me at times. I just hope that Simon and Isabelle make it and stay alive. OR ELSE. I hope you enjoy Emma's story in TDA series and you really should give TID series another try, Janina. It's just .. super good :) Great review, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Well I can't tell what happens with Isabelle and Simon :) You'd have to read it to know and I've been think about trying Clockwork Prince again. I have the book, but I think I'd probably read it if I listened to the audio book.

      Delete
  4. Awe i'm so happy you loved this book and found it to be a pretty satisfying conclusion. I read up until book four (I loved the series) but had to put it down out fo fustration that the series just kept going on even though it had originally been planned as a trilogy *sigh* BUT i'm thrilled you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I know of a lot of people who got tired after awhile. Maybe that's why the author made TID a trilogy like this one should have been.

      Delete
  5. I had been overly excited for Clockwork Princess and after being so extremely disappointed with it, I kind of let my excitement for the book fade to the point when it came out I no longer cared about reading CoHF. :/

    I am incredibly glad to hear you weren't let down by it though! :)

    Fantastic review, Janina! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of a lot of people who were disappointed with Clockwork Princess which is part of the reason why I was skeptical, at first, going into this one.

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow! This was the end of this series?! I didn't know that! I had thought it was going to continue somehow! ^^;; In any case, I'm not sure I'll read any Cassandra Clare work due to personal reasons, but nevertheless, that's not going to stop me from being happy for you, and the fact that you enjoyed the ending of this book.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the author would venture outside of the world and create something new even though I've been enjoying the books.

      Delete
  7. =) I love this series too! great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, I didn't actually realise this was the end of the series but I'm glad it ended well! Thanks for the review Janina.

    ReplyDelete