Pages


Thursday, June 12, 2014

The King by J.R. Ward

The King
(The Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12)
by J.R. Ward
Released |April 1st 2014 by Penguin Group (USA)|
Add to Goodreads
J.R. Ward's # 1 New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood continues as a royal bloodline is compromised by a grave threat to the throne.
Long live the King…
After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk.
Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them.
The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?
As always, I get really excited going into a new black dagger brotherhood book. I've been with this series for so long, I just freaking love it. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked being back in Wrath's (the blind king) head again. Dark lover was a good book, but Wrath has never been one of my favorite brothers. Zsadist, John Matthews, Vishous, Qhuinn, etc. I mean hello?! But back to the subject at hand, Wrath has always been a tough one and in this book we see him being the a**hole that he typically can be, but we never really saw it directed towards Beth (his mate). That was kind of different. With Beth wanting a baby and Wrath being dead set against it, that started a lot of the drama, and to top it off, the Band of Bastards are still trying to dethrone him. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to what happened. I love the Brotherhood and I'm glad we got to see them all again in this book, except Phury. We don't really see him much anymore.

One thing I didn't like in this book was all the povs. Every single time something happened the pov would switch right when things were getting good and it would always switch to someone I didn't care for. That was another thing... I didn't care for some of the povs besides Wrath, Beth, and John. I'm sorry, but I do not care for Assail and I can barely remember who he is. I found his pov to be completely unnecessary. Xcor and the shadow guy (whose name I can't remember at the moment) are interesting enough and I don't really mind reading from them, but that Assail dude took up way too much of the book for me. And I also didn't really care for the flashbacks of Wrath's dad.

But other than that I enjoyed the book. I read it quickly even though the book is massive. And I also got so many feels towards the end there. I was so happy and excited :) I don't know what book is next in the series, but whoever the person is, I'm excited for them.

13 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about this author and this series but i haven't picked up one book by him (i should really remedy that shouldn't i?) LOL
    It awesome that you managed to fly book the book and that your feels for in the mix! Great review :)
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally need to get past the slower start of the 1st book, I have heard so many good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book was kind of slow since its introducing but after that it starts to pick up.

      Delete
  3. I am soooo behind on this series, but I the books I have read I enjoyed a lot. And I agree with you, Wrath is not my fav brother....ZSADIST TOTALLY HAS THAT SPOT! LOL ;p Love that man! And I'm not a fan of multiple POVs either, so I see why that would have frustrated you, but at least this kept you at the edge of your seat. Glad you enjoyed this, despite some of your concerns, Janina! Great review!

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zsadist is my absolute favorite . I love that guy! What book are u on?

      Delete
  4. Had to skim your review because I plan on reading this series sometime (even though I haven't had the chance to start it yet) but the switching povs definitely sounds hard to follow and annoying! Lovely review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah. I hate that. I mean come on, the story was getting so good already, why tease us and leave us hanging and go on to the next? So mean! But at least you liked it overall! That's something to look forward to!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I swear when things got good, boom, POV switch lol

      Delete
  6. Number 12?! Wow! I've been seeing these books around a lot, but I did NOT realize there were that many of them. That kind of intimidates me. LOL I'm not a fan of series, honestly. But I would love to read a Ward book... I've heard they're pretty darn awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the POVs are getting out of hand in this book and with Lover at Last. I don't much care about Assail either but I do love the Shadows and can't wait to read their book.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete