Pages


Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pawn by Aimee Carter

Pawn 
(The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
by Aimee Carter
Released |November 26th 2013 by Harlequin Teen|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.
For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.
If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.
There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.
Going into Pawn, I believe I had a bit of a high expectation because of how much I enjoyed the author's other series. Pawn was let down for me. I just couldn't connect with the story or the characters. The story was interesting, yes, I will definitely give it that and it was probably the reason why I continued to read it, but I just couldn't connect with it. The part I found the most intriguing was when Kitty was Masked. I found it kind of fascinating and was curious to see where the story would go from there. The raking system was also very interesting to read about. Being ranked from a I to VII was pretty interesting. I wish we could have learned about the other parts of the country instead of just the area that Kitty was from. It would have been nice to see. And by the end of the book, I sort of liked Knox. I thought his character was cute and was hoping for a bit more there, but that really didn't happen. 
But my first issue with this book was that Kitty already had a boyfriend, Benjy. I couldn't get on board with the relationship from the very beginning because by the end of the book I still felt as though I didn't know who Benjy was. Yes, they were both raised in an group home and he tried to teach her how to read, but that's about all I know about him. Also, I didn't like Kitty. I thought she was annoying and very frustrating. I couldn't connect with her on any level or the relationship on any level as well. And that part in the beginning with the prostitution? That kind of really through me off track for a second.

Overall, I just couldn't get into the story. I was hoping for more, but ended up being disappointed. I don't know if I will continue on with the series. I might, but I just don't know. I hope the sequel will be better for me. I received a copy from Netgalley. All thoughts are my honest opinion.


14 comments:

  1. Oh no, it's a shame you didn't love Pawn as much as I did, but thanks for your honest opinion! I think the romance left a lot to be desired yes, but I enjoyed the whole politics and backstabbing thing a little too much.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol So much backstabbing went on in this book, it kind of left me mind boggled. You just didn't know who to trust.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I didn't like Benjy that much either. But overall I enjoyed it. My expectations for PAWN were opposite to yours though: I never really got into THE GODDESS TEST books so thought I wouldn't like this, but was pleasantly surprised. I found all the political thing quite intriguing.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the story hadn't have already started with the I love yous, I might have gotten into it a bit more than I did.

      Delete
  3. I swear this book is getting the most mixed reactions I've ever seen! One minute I see a glowing review, the next someone is saying how disappointed they were!

    I've been so tempted to check this out, because I loved a good Dystopia and I kind of want to see what all the hype is about ... but I'm sensing I'd be in the 'disappointed' crowd so I'm slowly backing away now lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of mixed review on it as well. You never know Allie, you just might like it lol

      Delete
  4. Meehhh! It's great that you're honest with your review, but I had such high hopes for this book and all I read are negative/average reviews. So sad, this could've been a big one...the premise sure does sound awsome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try anyway. Maybe it will be better for you :)

      Delete
  5. We think the same about this book. I liked the concept, but I couldn't connect with any of the characters..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author so I honestly don't know what to expect from it. I'm so sorry it was a disappointment for you. I hope your next read will blow you away. Great review, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's actually a little refreshing to see a less than "I'm in love with this" review, I always like the weigh the positives and negatives before I pick a book up. Unfortunately, your issues with this one would bother me too, so I see myself having the same issues. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about Pawn (I think my review was 3 stars, I have to check). Such a disappointment since the Goddess series is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete