Pages


Friday, July 19, 2013

Awaken by Christal M. Mosley

Awaken
(Empyreal, #1)
by Christal M. Mosley
Released |May 2013 by Wheelman Press|
Edition |Ebook|
Add to Goodreads
Secrets. Lies. Hidden Truths.
What if there was a vast hole where your memories should be? When you closed your eyes, all you saw was darkness? Then, what if one day, light began to shine through, illuminating intricate keys to your past? Would you try to unveil the truth? Even if, in the end, it’s not what you wanted?
When enigmatic dreams and arcane encounters begin to unravel the world around her, Coralie Collier begins to question the elements that surround her. As images of her past begin to rise to the surface, missing pieces to her future begin to fall into place. Will Coralie be able to uncover the hidden secrets that lie within the darkness? Those who surround her, good and evil, are waiting to find out...
This was an interesting read for me. This book follows the story of a girl name Coralie no memory of her lineage and the abilities she's able to do. All her life her parents have been taking away parts of her memory and now things are slowly starting to come back to her in bits and pieces. She know's that there are pieces of her memory missing and things weren't adding up. I think I would have given this book a high rating had I been able to connect with Coralie. Even though I found myself wanting to know more about her, her memory loss, and her weird dreams, I still couldn't connect with her or the love interests for some reason. I think it was mostly because I was confused as a reader in what was going on.


I thought the story was interesting, but it was also very confusing. When Coralie got confused, I got confused and it was really hard to follow the story at times. Every time Coralie would wake up on a new day, I would become confused from the way she acted, like the night before never existed. I don't think things were explained good enough for me to fully comprehend why she was acting the way she was until every thing got revealed, which was towards the end of the story.

But the thing is, I enjoyed the story line of the book. It was fast paced and had some pretty good action scenes, but the confusion took away from things and my disconnect to the characters. But I still can't wait to see what happens in book two :) Things were just starting to get interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Corralie sounds like a good character, but I wouldn't like being confused so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this series but I think I'll skip. While Corralie sounds like an interesting character the story sounds too confusing for me. I hope you'll enjoy the sequel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this series either, but I am a little curious about it. I like the sound of Corralie, but the story...not so much. I hate it when you get confused, and for me personally, I can never get out of that confused stupor. Glad you enjoyed this, despite your concerns! :)

    Great review, Janina! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete