Pages


Monday, May 5, 2014

After the End by Amy Plum

After the End
(After the End, #1)
by Amy Plum
Releases |May 6th 2014 by HarperTeen|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Edelweiss|
Add to Goodreads
She’s searching for answers to her past. They’re hunting her to save their future.
World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.
At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.
When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.
Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.
After the End was a pretty interesting read for me. I loved the concept of the book and all the different elements that it brought to the table. This was an easy read for me and I was intrigued enough to continue on with the book. Juneau thinks that World War III has happened and that her clan managed to find a way to escape and create a safe place for their people. They have a different way of living. She can connect to the Yara and it helps to guide her whenever she needs guidance and that entire concept of the Yara was very intriguing. But of course, she finds out that she's been lied to her entire life and when her clan is taken she sees that the world has not been destroyed. Her people have been taken and now she's on a mission to get them back.

Juneau was a interesting character. I'm on the fence on how I feel about her. I connected to her character in some ways, but it was never one hundred percent. Most people who comes in contact with her thinks that she is crazy because of the things that she say and the 'starburst' in her eye. Her eyes set her apart from others and makes it hard for her to blend in. When she has to put trust into a boy she knows she can't trust things start getting interesting. Miles is the son of a rich man who owns a pharmaceutical company and wants the drug that makes Juneau the way that she is. She ages slowly and does not get sick and his dad will do anything to get his hands on her (another twist) along with the other people that are out to get her. Once again, I am on the fence with Miles as well. It's something about these two character that kept me from fully connecting with them.

The romance in this book wasn't really the forefront, in my opinion. By the end of the book, the two had feelings for each other. There wasn't much action either, but there was enough to satisfy my needs for it. Overall the book was pretty interesting. It wasn't one of my faves, but I did enjoy the story. I received a copy through edelweiss. All thoughts are my honest opinion!

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it Janina, I've heard a lot of varied things about it. Thanks for the great review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read many reviews on it yet, but it will be a hit or miss book I think.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued about this book :-) I might try and check it out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting.. I'm going to read this book this month, and I'm glad you were somehow able to enjoy it! Juneau doesn't seem like a character I wouldn't be able to connect with, haha. I also don't think the lack of romance would be a problem either! Great review!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you enjoyed even if not the greatest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting, I'm curious about the Yara thing. It's too bad you didn't fully connect with the characters but it sounds like you still enjoyed it overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it because I was so intrigued with the story itself. The characters were okay, but not the best.

      Delete
  6. Hmm sounds like a so-so book that had some good and some bad. I really like this author though so I do want to read this one and see how it is for myself.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read by the author so I'm familiar with her writing. I do want to check out her other trilogy though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. From your review it sounds like there was defintely some sub plots i had not guessed this book would have! I havw to admit i liked Amy Plum's last series so i do want to read this one! it sucks that you werent able to fuly connect with the characters and that the romance wasn't so strong in this book but hopefully the improves in the nest book (because i love me some raomnce ;) )
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading the book now and I agree about Juneau. She isn't a bad character, but I don't feel anything for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see a positive review on this one for a change. I am really curious about it so I'll probably read it when I get into "dystopian phase" again. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete