Pages


Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

The Murder Complex
(the Murder Complex, #1)
by Lindsay Cummings
Released |June 10th 2014 by Greenwillow Books|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Edelweiss|

Add to Goodreads
Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.
The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?
The Murder Complex was an interesting read. The world created was a very danger one to live in. This was a very blood filled book, so it is definitely not a light read. This is a hard review for me to write. I don't know why, but it just is. I enjoyed the story, but I did have issues with. I thought the entire concept of the book was pretty interesting and I wanted to find out more and more. There was never really anything not happening in the story. There was always something going on or something to figure out.

The characters in this book were kind of hard for me to connect with at times. I didn't really care for Meadow or Zephyr at times. I didn't not like the characters, but Meadow wasn't someone I could relate to and I didn't like the way that Zephyr fell in love with Meadow. In this book we get the pov from both of them. Meadow is hardcore, hands down. Her father practically raised her to survive. She went through training from a young age and that's all she really knew. Zephyr is a ward (orphan) and he's a programed assassin for the people in charge. He doesn't know that though. He just thinks that he's a killer and doesn't understand why. I felt kind of bad for him throughout the story because you could tell that it was tearing him apart and driving him crazy. He was a nice guy and help out the other kids in the ward all the time. 

One of my issues with the story is that the history wasn't explained enough for me. We got the history of the murder complex and how it came about, but we didn't know much about how the world was before. The book spoke of the plague, but it never really said how the plague got started and we don't really know much about the government just the people in charge of the experiment. Also the romance wasn't really that interesting for me either. Zephyr 'dreamed' of Meadow and fell in love with her before he even met her. I thought that was a bit weird. 

Overall, the book was okay. It was interesting and I think I'll give the sequel a try. 


15 comments:

  1. Rashika didn't like this one, too :( She echoed the same complaints regarding the world-building and how it still seemed very vague. Plus that romance... even I would be a little creeped out about it. I want real developments, not a convenient dream or something.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading her review and was like I felt the same. I was hoping to like the romance a but more

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like a really bloody sort of story which is interesting, even though the world or romance wasn't particularly done well. Great review Janina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one made it onto my definitely not list when the author described it as "blood soaked." I'll pass on that thank you very much! The romance sounds like it would have bothered my anyways, I hate when characters are drawn together by some weird connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see why you wouldn't want to read it if you're not into that kind of thing. Almost every chapter was bloody

      Delete
  4. Sorry you didn't love this one, even if you did find the overall concept interesting. Sounds like an okay book...but not enough to really grasp my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The overall concept was great, I just think things were lacking

      Delete
  5. My major issue with books like this one is that they need ot have good world building or i don't end up believing the story, you know? If not it just all seems kind of lame to me and i can never let it go!
    Great review though Janina! I'm glad you did somehwat like it overall even with the issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The would building is very important when it comes to dystopians!

      Delete
  6. I expected this one to be something different. I mean that romance sounds like nothing I want to read about and I'm sorry about the world-building. Great review, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little squeamish so now I'm nervous about this one. I have it to read but good to be forewarned that it's kind of gory...
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so sorry you didn't love this one, Janina. I find it hard to like a book if I'm unable to connect with the characters, understand the world building or enjoy the romance. At least you still found it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is too bad that this one didn't completely work for you. I am a character reader myself so I can understand how not liking the characters can really ruin a good book.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same 'mweh' feeling about this one. I enjoyed it and I finished it, but there were too many things that bothered me to really enjoy it.. Disappointing :(

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete