Pages


Thursday, May 29, 2014

Double Review: The Liberator and The Warrior by Victoria Scott

The Liberator
(Dante Walker, #2)
by Victoria Scott
Released |August 27th 2013 by Entangled Teen|
Add to Goodreads
Bad boy, meet bad girl.
Dante has a shiny new cuff wrapped around his ankle, and he doesn't like that mess one bit. His new accessory comes straight from Big Guy himself and marks the former demon as a liberator. Despite his gritty past and bad boy ways, Dante Walker has been granted a second chance.
When Dante is given his first mission as a liberator to save the soul of seventeen-year-old Aspen, he knows he’s got this. But Aspen reminds him of the rebellious life he used to live and is making it difficult to resist sinful temptations. Though Dante is committed to living clean for his girlfriend Charlie, this dude’s been a playboy for far too long…and old demons die hard.
With Charlie becoming the girl she was never able to be pre-makeover and Aspen showing him how delicious it feels to embrace his inner beast, Dante will have to go somewhere he never thought he’d return to in order to accomplish the impossible: save the girl he’s been assigned to, and keep the girl he loves.
The Liberator was a great sequel to the Collector and I really enjoyed it. A lot of things happen in this book and it was filled with all kinds of non stop action. In this book we are introduce to a girl name Aspen and I was surprised by how much I liked her. Aspen had many issue and it was Dante's job to liberate her soul. The two were alike in so many different ways and I liked the friendship that the two were able to create. Dante of course was his awesome self, but his struggle at being the liberator he now is was good to see. Because in the first book he was the definition of a bad boy and if he would have switch from that to a 'nice' guy that would have made the book very unrealistic. Charlie started to become a wildcard for me in this book at first, but she goes through some dark times and I felt really bad for her. I do love the relationship between her and Dante and things definitely began to pick up. Overall, I enjoyed the Liberator. I liked meeting all the new characters and keeping up with all the old ones. I also enjoyed the romance and the action.
The Warrior
(Dante Walker, #3)
by Victoria Scott
Released |May 6th 2014 by Entangled Teen|
Edition |eARC/Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
War between heaven and hell is coming, but Dante Walker makes it look damn good.
Dante’s girlfriend, Charlie, is fated to save the world. And Aspen, the girl who feels like a sister, is an ordained soldier. In order to help both fulfill their destiny and win the war, Dante must complete liberator training at the Hive, rescue Aspen from hell, and uncover a message hidden on an ancient scroll.
Dante is built for battle, but even he can’t handle the nightmares where spiders crawl from Aspen’s eyes, or the look on Charlie’s face that foretells of devastation. To make matters worse, the enemy seizes every opportunity to break inside the Hive and cripple the liberators. But the day of reckoning is fast approaching, and to stand victorious, Dante will have to embrace something inside himself he never has before—faith.
With The Warrior being the last installment in this trilogy, I went into it with hopes that it would be amazing. There was tons of action and things going on throughout the book. It definitely didn't slack in that department. I guess I'll start with the pros and the cons.

I enjoyed that the book had tons of action and there was also a ton a drama between the characters. I will always have a love for Dante and he always finds a way to weasel himself into my heart. And then we have Kraven and Annabelle both of which I completely adored in this book. I was all for those two, but it was not easy for them. Kraven is just so dark and brooding. I guess that's why I like him so much :) Another thing I liked about this book is the friendships that were developed throughout the stories. We've come to meet a lot of new people. But let me be clear, this was not all rays of sunshine. There were betrayals and all sorts of things going on within the hive and outside of it.

One thing about this book that started to turn me off was Charlie. I did not connect with her like I did in all the other books. She became annoying as the book continue to progress. I understand the need for character development and all, but I felt as though Charlie wasn't the Charlie that we knew before. Her personality was not the same. I didn't like the changes that were made with her character and I'm not talking about the end of the book. And the whole thing with the war started to become too much. I started to get confused with all the things that were happening. I think that maybe too much was going on at one time. And then we had all the secrets going on. I'd also already guess who the traitor was so I was not surprised when all that went down.

Overall, I'm at a standstill with this book. I didn't hate it and I enjoyed a lot of things that went on in the book, but there were also a lot of things that I didn't like. The ending was okay and was sort of happy with that (The very end). It was a pretty decent trilogy to say the least. I enjoyed books one and two, but I did feel as though book three could have been better.

14 comments:

  1. Nice reviews! I still need to read The Warrior, got it before I went to RT so it's kinda buried somewhere in all the books I brought back! Sad to hear that it wasn't all you hoped for. I was kinda noticing the same thing with Charlie just from book 1 to book 2, it was sad in a way. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it all ends though! Again, great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started noticing it in book two but it wasn't as bad as in this one, but I hope you still enjoy it Jessica!

      Delete
  2. A lot of betrayals?! Oh noooo! Now I'm scared to read it huhu I didn't enjoy the first book much but I hope I can reconcile with it by reading the sequel HAHA thanks for sharing! Lovely review!

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were a couple! I hope you like the sequel better than you did the first!

      Delete
  3. I know Faye felt pretty much the same way as you did about The Warrior and it saddens me to see that it didn't work out for you either. I still haven't started the series but I was hoping that once all the books had come out I might give it a shot, I am not so enthusiastic any more :/

    Great Reviews, Janina!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the series when you start it. Overall, it was still a fun series to read :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read The Collector so far and it was kind of a miss for me. I need to pick up book 2 soon, though. Action and a new character and friendship? Yes please. Not sure about book three though. Faye did mention Charlie being a not-so-likable character in it as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the sequel. I think this series was one of these, you either like or you don't.

      Delete
  5. I still need to read these. They sound pretty fun and it seems like you enjoyed the trilogy overall, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it overall. It's a very fast paced trilogy :)

      Delete
  6. Janina! Finally so happy to read these review from you. I'll say a few things:

    The Liberator... Not my favorite of the trilogy, but definitely not the weakest in my dictionary, either. That throne goes to The Warrior as you know by now. I loved Aspen here, too! I was hesitant to read this at first because I thought there was going to be a love triangle and I am so happy to be proven wrong. As for The Warrior... Charlie really was an all-different person compared to her persona in book 1. Such a disappointment!

    Still, 3 stars! Not bad:) Awesome work, love!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie cause the majority of my dislike in book three. I was just not happy with her and I love Aspen even though she was a bit weird in the last book as well.

      Delete
  7. I just finished these two books as well and really liked them. I ended up really liking the warrior and felt it did the story and characters justice but like you i don't know i feel like it needed something else? One extra punch to really make it memorable? JUST SOMETHING! lol
    Great review
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed this trilogy =) It's too bad the last installment wasn't exactly what were looking for. I'm not familiar with these books but I've read Victoria Scott's other book, Fire & Flood, which I really enjoyed! I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it yet =)

    ReplyDelete