Pages


Monday, May 19, 2014

Illusion by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Illusion
(Chronicles of Nick, #5)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Released |April 1st 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin|
Add to Goodreads
Be careful what you wish for…
You just might get it.
Nick Gautier is tired of his destiny. He doesn’t want to be the son of a demon who’s fated to end the world. Nor does he want to see another demon or other preternatural creature who wants to kill or enslave him. He just wants to be normal and have normal problems like everyone else.
But normality isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. When he gets sucked into an alternate reality where his mother has married his mentor and his Atlantean god best friend has become a human geek, he begins to understand that no life is free of pain, and that every person has a specific place in the universe… Even the son of a hated demon.
Most of all, he sees that his powers aren’t the curse he thought they were, and that the world needs a champion, especially one its enemies can’t imagine rising up to defend the ones he should destroy.
Old enemies and new friends square off for a major battle that will either restore Nick to his real world, or end him forever.
After reading Inferno I was kind of skeptical going into Illusion. Inferno let me down and wasn't as good as the rest of the books, in my opinion, but Illusion did not disappoint! I felt like things were back as should have been. Illusion was very different because it was set in alternate world, if I'm using the correct term here. Somehow someone has switched Nick's soul and put it into someone else's body in an alternate world. So Nick has to find a way out of this place and get back to his body so he can be his awesome self again. But things weren't easy. Some of the people who he trusts in his 'real' reality cannot be trusted in the one he's stuck in. The people are different and his enemies are still trying to kill him but he doesn't have his powers to fight back.


This book was action packed which is something I always look forward to when going into this series. It never disappoints in that aspect and another thing is the humor. Illusion kept that humor going and Nick is his sarcastic and snarky self and I loved every single moment of that. Nick had some character growth in this book and it was something that I was waiting to see. He finally starts to embrace who he is. He can't help who he was born to but he can learn to control himself. I was kind of sad we didn't get to see the real Acheron and Kyrian in this book. I've always liked them as characters and was hoping that we'd run into them.

Overall, the book was good. It was a light weight and fast paced read. The romance isn't really my favorite aspect in this series nor was it in this book, but eh. I'm not really complaining about even though I feel it could be better. I'm dying for the next book because of the cliffhanger. This series never fails to have one!

9 comments:

  1. I have to agree that Inferno was the weak link in this series, but Illusion was so much better. And Nick was completely back to being his usual hilarious self, especially in his interactions with his father. I laughed so hard I cried! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His father is hilarious and completely screwed up, but I liked seeing him in this book!

      Delete
  2. Light weight and fast paced sounds like something I could love to read. I've avoided this series for some reason until now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is something that you can breeze through. I love this series because I know the books will be entertaining, light and fast paced :)

      Delete
  3. Glad things picked back up and didn't disappoint like the last one. I love me a sarcastic and snarky main character, I may have to look into this series =) Cliffhangers really do their job of making you want the next book IMMEDIATElY. Hope you don't have to wait long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarcastic and snarky are two of the best things I love in characters :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh I do like how the character has a lot of snark to him, definitely keeps things really interesting! Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I'm glad that Illusion was way better than Inferno for you! I actually never even thought of starting this series, but it sounds pretty good. Great review!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I've never heard of this series before. It sounds awesome from the looks of it and I'm surprised it never was brought to my attention. Me wants snark and sarcasm please!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete