Pages


Monday, July 29, 2013

BZRK by Michael Grant

BZRK
(BZRK, #1)
by Michael Grant
Released |April 23rd 2013 by EgmontUSA|
Edition |Paperback, 416 pages|

Add to Goodreads
Love The Hunger Games?  Action-adventure thrillers with a dystopian twist? BZRK (Berserk) by Michael Grant, New York Times best-selling author of the GONE series, ramps up the action and suspense to a whole new level of excitement.

Set in the near future, BZRK is the story of a war for control of the human mind.  Charles and Benjamin Armstrong, conjoined twins and owners of the Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation, have a goal:  to turn the world into their vision of utopia.  No wars, no conflict, no hunger.  And no free will.  Opposing them is a guerrilla group of teens, code name BZRK, who are fighting to protect the right to be messed up, to be human.  This is no ordinary war, though.  Weapons are deployed on the nano-level. The battleground is the human brain.  And there are no stalemates here:  It’s victory . . . or madness.

BZRK unfolds with hurricane force around core themes of conspiracy and mystery, insanity and changing realities, engagement and empowerment, and the larger impact of personal choice. Which side would you choose?  How far would you go to win?
This book was a really big disappointment for me, considering how much I loved Michael Grant's gone series. I didn't really go into this book with expectations, but I did have hopes that I would enjoy it because I enjoyed his other series. The book wasn't all bad, but I never really got into the story or connected with the characters. Half the time I really didn't even know or understand what was going within the story. The ending of this book is what save it from being a one star, but because I liked the ending, well enjoyed the action of it, I bumped my rating up to two stars.


The main thing about this book that first threw me off was how often the POVs switch. It was like that in his other books, but I could tell who was speaking and who's head I was in. But in this book, I often got lost when it came to which character POV I was currently reading it. I mean things difficult. And I also was just plain old confused throughout most of the book. I couldn't grasp the concept of nano and macro. I felt that things were being explained too technical, for me at least, and I just could understand what was going on because of how things were explain. And also, the pacing was really slow throughout the majority of the book and not much was happening. All a SHOCK to me, because of how action packed the Gone series was.

Since I couldn't understand whose POV I was in half the time, that took away from my ability to connect with any of the characters. I did like Vincent and hope things get better for him and I maybe like Keats and Sadie (I believe that's their names). I don't know the book was just really disappointing for me. The ending did bring a little bit of excitement because I wanted to know what happened. It left some anticipation in me to want to continue on with the series, which I probably will.

But yeah, I will continue on with the trilogy, but this was a disappointing read.

10 comments:

  1. Such a shame this disappointed you. BZERK sounds so interesting. I'd never really look into it until now. I have never read any of Michael Grant's stuff either.

    Good on you for deciding to stick with the series though! I hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does too :) I have the sequel for review!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book but it sounds really scary. I'm sorry it disappointed you considering you love other works by this author. Thanks for honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I read part of the Gone series and want to finish

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad you didn't like this one. The synopsis of this one looked really interesting. :/

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahhh...I really dislike multiple POVs. They really ruin a perfectly good story, especially when you don't know when they change. Sorry you couldn't connect with the characters or the story. I don't know if I'll pick this up, mostly because I don't know if I'll enjoy it, even if the premise sounds interesting.

    Brilliant honest review, Janina! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like, can you at least use the name of the person speaking within the first like sentence!

      Delete