Pages


Monday, July 8, 2013

Trapped by Michael Northrop

Trapped 
by Michael Northrop
Released |February 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press|
Edition |Hardcover, 232 pages|
Source |Library|

Add to Goodreads
The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive. . . .
Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision. 

The thing is, I really enjoyed this book. The story kept me interest in seeing what would happen to the seven students that were trapped in the school in major blizzard. We learn about everything that happened through Scotty's point of view. Scotty was your average teenager. He was on the basketball team, but was pretty much your normal teen. The seven kids stuck in the school weren't all friends. Scotty had his two friends, then there was the trouble maker and a weird outcast guy, and then there were two popular girls. I thought it was interesting seeing how all the different personalities would come together or clash, but I have to admit I thought there would have been more drama than there was. I think the story could have been better had there been some sort of tension between the kids, fights and things of that nature (even though that's bad to say), But everyone, for the most part, got along. That's not a bad thing at all, the story stuck more towards the survive of the people.


I liked how the author brought the elements of hope, fear and survival all at once. For these to be freshmen and sophomores, they new what it would take to survive. I really don't have any ill feelings towards the book, I just think there could have been more. The ending I felt cut off too soon. You didn't find out about the parents of the kids. Where they found? We don't know. I mean, Scotty was worried about his mom and his friend's dad throughout the book, so I thought we should have been told whether or not they got reunited. But don't let that stop you from checking out the book. It was a pretty good story and I'm glad I decided to check it out because it was recommended to me :)

8 comments:

  1. So it's pretty rushed at the ending?
    But I'm still curious with this book. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that ending is a bit rushed but honestly the whole thing started suddenly so why not end it that way :D I'm glad you enjoyed this story overall :) Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is completely new to me but it sounds very interesting and I love the concept of them being trapped. Although I do hate a rushed ending. Guess I will have to judge it for myself!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually does sound like a fun idea. I would read this book based off the blurb but to hear not much drama happens, well that sucks. What a missed opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting story, but it's too bad that the ending cuts off very quickly. Endings are important!

    Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope fear and survival are great themes and glad that they were well handled and written

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting...and I really like the stuck in a school theme. Its so original and lol ;p I just can't imagine being stuck at school during a blizzard! Too bad about the ending though. But I am still giving this one a try! Hopefully, I'll enjoy it as well.

    Awesome review, Janina! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this book was okay-I think it would be super creepy to live somewhere snowy where this was a possibility (probably not as good for this California girl.)

    ReplyDelete