Pages


Thursday, September 27, 2012

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Unraveling
(Unraveling, #1)
by Elizabeth Norris
Released |April 24th 2012 by Balzer + Bray|
Edition |Hardcover, 445 pages|
Add to Goodreads

Two days before the start of her junior year, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit by a pickup truck and killed--as in blinding light, scenes of her life flashing before her, and then nothing. Except the next thing she knows, she's opening her eyes to find Ben Michaels, a loner from her high school whom Janelle has never talked to, leaning over her. And even though it isn't possible, she knows--with every fiber of her being--that Ben has somehow brought her back to life.
But her revival, and Ben's possible role in it, is only the first of the puzzles that Janelle must solve. While snooping in her FBI agent father's files for clues about her accident, she uncovers a clock that seems to be counting down to something--but to what? And when someone close to Janelle is killed, she can no longer deny what's right in front of her: Everything that's happened--the accident, the murder, the countdown clock, Ben's sudden appearance in her life--points to the end of life as she knows it. And as the clock ticks down, she realizes that if she wants to put a stop to the end of the world, she's going to need to uncover Ben's secrets--and keep from falling in love with him in the process.
From debut author Elizabeth Norris comes this shattering novel of one girl's fight to save herself, her world, and the boy she never saw coming.

I am so glad I finally got an excuse to hurry and read this. I've had this in my tbr pile since it released, but have never gotten the chance to read it. So thanks to the Pick It For Me Challenge, where someone picks a book out of your tbr list for you to read, instead of you choosing for yourself. And btw, I loved it :) And I'm so, so glad I finally read it! This was an amazing read and I can't wait for Unbreakable, the next installment in this series, to release!


I think, if I heard correctly, that this is a sci/fi book?! I don't read too many of these as far as I know, but I must say this was awesome :) From the very beginning of the book I was drawn into the story and issues that the characters faced. It did take me a minute to get use to how the chapters where set up, but once I got use to them, I flew threw the book. Janelle was a character I didn't know how I would react to. She was different. She wasn't your typical teenage girl to me and I like that fact about her. And then there was Ben, the mysterious guy who everyone judged and knew absolutely nothing about. I was drawn to him from the start. I do love a guy who is dark and mysterious and you never know what to expect from them next :) But for some reason, their relationship was all over the place to me. I enjoyed it, but it was random at times. Okay, so we know she's all into him, but then next thing you know they're in a heated kiss, then they get awkward, and then back to heated again. A little much...

But anyways, this was definitely a story that I enjoyed. The entire story line of the book was unique and I haven't really read about that had any of those elements put together in one story. I love Elizabeth's writing style. It really draws you into the world and characters with ease, which makes that much easier to enjoy. This book had tons of action packed moments with suspense and it did have enjoyable romance at times :) I really think this is a book that everyone will enjoy, even if you don't like the sci/fi genre. Like I said before, I haven't read too many sci/fi books, if any at all, but I loved this story all the same!

The ending and the shocking reveal...Elizabeth, you hurt my heart! My eyes teared up there at the end. I was devastated. I know everyone loved him :) And even with the issue of who killed Janelle's dad, I can now see the signs playing back to me in my head. Back to that night when they all were talking and serious stuff got revealed about Janelle...Sigh*

Awesome first in a series and I definitely recommend it to all you YA lovers out there :)!

2 comments:

  1. I love sci fi! I've been wanting to read this one for a long time too! Sounds like the ending is a shocker and a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the Scavenger Hunt, and have been interested to know what it was about since then. Thing you for your review.

    ReplyDelete