Pages


Sunday, June 16, 2013

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

All These Things I've Done
(Birthright, #1)
by Gabrielle Zevin
Released |September 6th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)|
Edition |Audio|
Source |Library|

Add to Goodreads

In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.
Engrossing and suspenseful, All These Things I've Done is an utterly unique, unputdownable read that blends both the familiar and the fantastic.
All These Things I've Done is one of the most interesting reads I've read in awhile. I really enjoyed the whole mobster feel to the book. Also, the fact that chocolate and coffee is illegal. The HORRORS, right?! When I started this book, I did not know that it was a series, so I'm really excited to continue on to find out what happens next with Anya, her family, and her friends.



Throughout this entire book I felt so bad for Anya. She had to grow up at an early age. Her being only sixteen, she has so much on her plate. She had to care for her sick and dying grandmother, care for OLDER brother who had the mind of a child because of the accident he was in as a child, and pretty much much be a guardian for her very young sister because both of her parents were dead. I mean, how much can one girl handle! And on top of that she and her sister witnessed her Father's (crime boss!) murder when she a very young and was accused of trying to poison her ex-boyfriend with their family's chocolate. I feel Anya handle things like a trooper. She was tough, but I also liked to see when she had her break down moments because it gave the book a realistic feel.

The romance of the book was pretty good as well. Win was an awesome character and really liked getting to know him. He was kind to Anya when no one else was, but he also isn't that push over boy who goes with the flow of things. But his father constantly intervined. Anya being the daughter of a top mobster and Win's dad being D.A., things didn't mix all that well. He did not want Anya dating his son because he thought it would makes his family 'look bad'. The nerve of him!

There was some awesome action moments in the book and the story continued to keep me engrossed. And I can't wait to find out what happens next :)


11 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this cover around but I didn't know much about the book. I can say it sounds really interesting. Anya sounds like a character you always care and cheer for. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm already halfway done with the second book lol

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard much about this one, but I like the cover and the romance sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is what drew me in when I was at the library. I was 'oh wow, what's this about?' lol

      Delete
  3. This is new to me too! But no coffee or chocolate? I couldn't deal!!! Great review by the way =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like good book! I've seen this around a lot and I've never thought of picking it up. It seems like a book I would enjoy, but wow, no coffee or chocolate? Okay, who cares about chocolate. NO COFFEE? HELL NO! haha! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt bad for Anya too - poor girl has a lot of responsibilities!

    Fantastic review! Glad you enjoyed this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book so much-Anya's ability to step up and bear such responsibility really spoke to me. I also kind of swooned for Win. Hope you enjoy the second book-I found it a little slow at first but by the end, I was totally hooked and in love again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing I keep reading over and over again is CHOCOLATE IS ILLEGAL!! Are these people freakin crazy! O_O This book has me very curious! It sounds awesome. Plus, I love books where you can relate with the main character, and Anya definitely sounds like type of character. I can't wait to meet her and her love interest! Glad you enjoyed this!

    Great review! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete