Pages


Thursday, June 27, 2013

Perfection by J.L. Spelbring

Perfection 
by J.L. Spelbring
Released |July 16th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press|
Edition |Physical ARC|
Source |Publisher|

Add to Goodreads
The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.
Only Ellyssa isn't perfect.
Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she encounters the epitome of inferiority: a dark-haired boy raised among renegades hiding since the Nazis won the war a century ago. He speaks to her telepathically, pushing thoughts into her mind, despite the impossibility of such a substandard person having psychic abilities.
But he does.
His unspoken words and visions of a place she's never visited make Ellyssa question her creator. Confused and afraid her secret will be discovered, Ellyssa runs away, embarking on a journey where she discovers there is more to her than perfection.

This was a hard book for me to rate and write for some reason. I enjoyed the story and thought the author's writing style was great, but I don't know why I'm having such a hard time writing this review. I really enjoyed the idea of the story. The doctor of the center/Ellyssa father is pretty much corrupt. He's creating the 'perfect' soldiers to establish Hitlers goals of perfection and utopia. If he thinks they aren't perfect in their genetics and abilities, then the soldiers are suppose to eliminate them. (Okay, that is my interpretation! lol)


But I just really liked the concept! :) Ellyssa was an interesting character to get to know. She's not like her 'siblings'. For some reason she's able to feel emotions. I really enjoyed experiencing all the different emotions that Ellyssa was feeling for the first time; anger, distrust, love, happiness, laughter, betrayal, etc. I thought the author did a fantastic job of capturing the emotions and making them believable. But yeah, Ellyssa isn't your average person. She's one of the genetically altered children of the doctor and has the ability to read a person mind at anytime. Horrible, but awesome at the same time! :)

Rein was a character that I liked, but didn't really connect all that much with. He had all the characteristics that I like in a love interest, but for some reason I just wasn't connecting with him or the romance. I felt like him and Ellyssa didn't have enough interaction with each other enough to fall in love with each other.

But other than that, the action was fantastic :) I really liked see the survival instinct take place within the characters! Ugh, that Detective lady was a psychotic nuisance! At times, the pacing slowed, but even still I was enjoying the book and was curious to learn more. I thought this was a pretty good read and wish it was a series!

I received a review copy from the publisher, Spencer Hill Press. All thoughts are my honest opinion!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds soo intriguing! I love stories like this one...and I am surprised I haven't heard of it before! I will definitely be reading this, although I am a bit concerned about the love interest. I also like to connect to both my main characters...but hopefully I'll get over it. The plot and the idea sounds amazing. Plus, I LOVE that cover! It's so unique. :)

    Glad you enjoyed this, Janina! Awesome review!

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds really interesting. I just added it to my TBR. I understand how you feel about having a hard time writing a review sometimes, it's pretty frustrating. But you still made a great review!

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) The frustration! I swear it took me like 20 mins to write the review lol

      Delete
  3. I get that way sometimes. Even with books I love I have run into review slumps where I find it difficult to write reviews. But it sounds like you enjoyed this one which is what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens to me often! I sit and contemplate how to put my feelings into words!

      Delete
  4. I like the butterfly in her eye! :) Just a nice detail :) I haven't heard of this story but sounds really interesting. The idea sounds great and only it's too bad you didn't connect with the character. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, there are butterflies through the book, but I have no idea what they mean...Maybe the author just likes butterflies lol

      Delete
  5. The action sounds really well written! I have this in my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellyssa sounds like an interesting character indeed. I'm not a huge fan of the cover, but the story does indeed sound interesting! I'm glad to know it had some great action as well! Fantastic review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete