Pages


Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Phoenix by Elizabeth Richards

Phoenix
(Black City, #2)
by Elizabeth Richards
Released |June 4th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile|
Edition |Physical ARC|
Source |Publisher|
Add to Goodreads

Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go from bad to worse. Ash and Natalie find themselves at the center of turmoil when dictator Purian Rose threatens Natalie’s life unless Ash votes in favor of Rose’s Law—a law that will send Darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the Tenth.
When Ash can’t bring himself to trade Natalie’s life for those of millions of Darklings, her fate is sealed. Enter Elijah Theroux, the handsome Bastet boy Natalie once saved from her mother’s labs, where he’d been experimented on and tortured. It was his venom the Sentry used to create the lethal Golden Haze, the heart of the government conspiracy that led to Black City’s uprising and Ash’s rebirth as the Phoenix, the face of the rebellion. Elijah is back and Ash doesn’t like him; it’s clear he’s taken with Natalie, and Ash fears she may have feelings for him as well.
But Elijah also may have the answer to taking down Purian Rose for good—a powerful weapon called the Ora. Ash, Natalie and Elijah just have to escape Black City undetected to find it. But fleeing the city and finding this weapon (if it even exists) are easier said than done, and the quest could tear Ash and Natalie apart, even pushing them into the arms of others.
This enthralling sequel to Black City is just as absorbing, delicious and steamy as the first book, leaving readers hungry for the series conclusion
I have to say that I really enjoyed Phoenix and thought it was a pretty good sequel :) I was dying for the chance to get my hands on it and could not put the book down! But I do feel that some parts could have been better, but I'll get to that later. Phoenix was fast paced with a whole lot of action that has me dying to get my hands on the next installment!

Ash is by far my favorite character in the book. I have a serious love for him! He's so caring and the fact that he wants to save so many people even at the risks of others is very admiring. And I also really like Natalie, but she kind of annoyed me at points in this book. She did have her selfish moments, but I can kind of understood why she didn't want to tell Ash about her 'situations. And I really love the romance and the connection between the two and have from the beginning :) On the other hand, Elijah is weird. I kind of like him, but then I kind of don't. I wasn't liking the bits of a love triangle that flung up in this book. It annoyed me and I already guessed what Elijah had planned.

I have to get this OFF MY CHEST...Sebestian needs to DIE, ASAP! Like seriously, what he did to Polly seriously pissed me off. *Chest Cleared*

This book was so action packed! So many things and battles happened and so many secrets were revealed. The ended was kind of crazy though :) Like, what are they going to do about Ash? I can't wait to see how the next installment is going to turn out!

I received a ARC for review via the publisher. All thoughts are my honest opinion!


12 comments:

  1. I've seen the first book in this series all over the blog sphere. I'm really dying to read it and I know you loved it too. I'm so happy to see that the sequel didn't disappoint. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading the first book, but I just couldn't get into it. I liked Ash, but that's pretty much all I liked, so I gave up rather than getting caught up in a series I felt meh about. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, but I bet the love triangle was hard to swallow.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the first disappointed you! Will you continue the series?

      Delete
  3. Know what you mean about Natalie, and totally love Ash so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I'm looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even started this series yet, but it sounds good! Action packed is almost always good, of course. ;) Awesome review, Janina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :) This one was definitely filled with more action!

      Delete
  6. Okay, I'm going to shamefully admit that Black City has been sitting on my shelf for well over 3 months now! I know I know....I have to get to it! I have heard nothing but amazing things about this series and I cannot wait to start them. I am especially looking forward to Phoenix too. Plus, I LOVE their covers! :D

    Great review, Janina! Glad you enjoyed it! ;)

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the review. My friends say this book was great and she recomend this book. Looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete