Pages


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5
(Article 5, #1)
by Kristen Simmons
Released |January 31st 2012 by Tor Teen|
Edition |Hardback, 362 pages|
Source |Library|
Add to Goodreads
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.
The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.
There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.
Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.
Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved
Article 5 was definitely something that I wasn't expecting to enjoy that much. I've been putting off reading this for quite sometime and am angry with myself for waiting so long to pick it up! It was a fast paced read that kept me wanting to know more and more. I didn't expect there to be so much action from the start of the book! I am a big fan of action packed books so that was a major plus for me. I will definitely be continuing on with series because I found it very interesting, the characters were enjoyable, and so was the romance :)! I can't wait to get my hands on book 2, immediately, to find out what happens next.


The characters in this book were great and easy to connect with. I really liked Ember because of strong she was throughout the book. I also felt really bad for her and her mother because of what happened to them. Her mother violated 'Article 5', which is a stupid Article! So her mother is taken and Ember is sent to a girls reformatory and that place was no joke. But the thing I felt bad about the most because one of the officers there to arrest her mother was the boy she love, Chase. My heart was slowly breaking for her and this happened within like the first chapter or 2! Even through everything Ember stayed strong and that was really admirable. When it comes to Chase, at first I didn't like him because he was being such a jerk to Ember in the beginning. As the book continue, I started to slowly start liking him. By the end of the book I really liked Ember and Chase's relationship and was rooting for them to get back together. I love how even though they were once in love, this book didn't immediately put them back together.

I thought the romance department was good! And I enjoyed the interactions between the two characters. And the action was amazing! I couldn't get enough of it. The world building was okay, but I didn't think it was spectacular. I like the whole idea of the Articles and the soldiers were pretty interesting, but I thought things could have been a bit better. Overall things were great. I would definitely recommend this to you dystopian lovers!


8 comments:

  1. LOL What a coincidence :) Oh you'll enjoy the world-building in the second book. Only real problem is the beginning but later it gets so much better :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to check out the sequel :) I love how we both have the reviews uP!

      Delete
  2. The romance and easy to relate with characters makes this sound like a win, I need to start soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book - it really grabs you. I need to be on the lookout for a copy.

    Thanks for stopping by the Harem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED Article 5 and am so glad you finally read this, Janina! lol ;p I also loved the characters in this and the romance, and just the whole dystopian world. The action is spectacular in this series. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the next book as well. (Reminder, the sequel is slow in the beginning....but stick to it, I promise it gets waaayyy better!). Fab review, Janina! I loved that you enjoyed this! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put this off too (actually I still am LOL) and man I hope I'm not kicking myself for it later! I'm happy to know that it's action packed! I love books like that. I'm also very intrigued by the romance. It sounds like it starts different from typical romance in YA lately. I really need to get started on this series, asap! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually didn't like this much, I think partly because of how jerky Chase is at the start; it was hard for him to win me over.

    ReplyDelete