Pages


Friday, August 9, 2013

Dancing with the Devil by Keri Arthur

Dancing with the Devil
(Nikki and Michael, #1)
by Keri Arthur
Released |July 30th 2013 by Dell|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley and Edelweiss|
Add to Goodreads
Private Investigator Nikki James grew up on the tough streets of Lyndhurst and believes there's nothing left to surprise her. All that changes the night she follows teenager Monica Trevgard into the shadows-and becomes a pawn caught in a war between two very different men. One fills her mind with his madness, the other pushes his way into her life-and her heart. Nikki knows how dangerous love can be, but if she wants to survive, she must place her trust in a man who could easily destroy her.
Michael Kelly has come to Lyndhurst determined to end the war between himself and another brother of the night. For 300 years he has existed in life's shadows, gradually learning to control the life from death cravings of a vampire. Nikki not only breaches his formidable barriers with her psychic abilities, but makes Michael believe he may finally have found a woman strong enough to walk by his side and ease the loneliness in his heart. But will his love be enough to protect her from a madman hell-bent on revenge? Or will it drive her into his enemy's deadly trap?
Only together can they overcome the evil threatening to destroy them both. But the secrets they keep from each other might prove to be the greatest threat of all.

This book was a really big disappointment for because it turn out to be a DNF (did not finish) for me. I had some pretty good hopes for this book since I really enjoyed the author's Riley Jenson and Dark Angels series. I wanted to check out another one of her series and I thought this one would be a good one to try, but it just lead to disappointment. I made it about 38% when I decided to just stopped reading it.

My breaking point with this book had to be the pacing. I wouldn't say nothing happened within the story because things did happened, but it was still slow paced. And to be honest I just wasn't all that into the characters. I wasn't connecting with Nikki or Michael, both the main characters, for what ever reason. I wouldn't say don't give this book a try, but I will say that the author has better series to start besides this one.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book but it seems to me that I haven't missed much. I hate it when I read a book and nothing happens. It really annoys me. Sorry this one disappointed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I have this book on my tbr for the month - I got it from NetGalley thinking I would love it after the Riley Jensen books. I'm so disappointed :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks! I usually can't stand a book if I can't connect with the characters but usually there is a redeeming factor, but too bad this one didn't even have that. The slow pacing and the characters, nothing sounds appealing here. Sorry this one didn't work out for you, Janina! Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete