Pages


Thursday, August 29, 2013

Countdown by Michelle Rowen

Countdown
by Michelle Rowen
Released |September 24th 2013 by Harlequin Teen|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped.
2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game.
Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan Ellis.
1 reason Kira will never, ever trust Rogan. Even though both their lives depend on it.
Their every move is controlled and televised for a vicious exclusive audience. And as Kira's psi skill unexpectedly grows and Rogan's secrets prove evermore deadly, Kira's only chance of survival is to risk trusting him as much as her instincts. Even if that means running head-on into the one trap she can't escape.
GAME 0VER
Going into Countdown, I hadn't heard too many things about it and I didn't know what to expect. I was not expecting it to be so fast paced right from the start. From the very beginning of the book we had a lot of tension, drama, and action. I thought the whole idea and levels of the 'countdown' was an interesting thing to read about. The intensity of it made for a really great read. I found myself not being able to put the story down because of all the things happening within the story. One thing after another happened to the characters who are fighting for their live.


To some things up, Countdown is a game, but it's also very real. The two contestants, Kira and Rogan are fighting for their lives. Let me make things clear, Kira was kidnapped and Rogan had a choice. Neither of his options were good. They have to make threw all six levels in order to survive. In each level the two have a certain amount of time to complete it or they risk being disqualified or eliminated. They have these implants within their head so the people can keep track of their every movement. The kicker with the implants? If they separate more than 90 ft., it explodes which mean, of course, they die. If they don't complete the level, they die...The sick thing about the countdown is that the 'rich people' of the world are watching this for their amusement!

Kira was a very interesting character. I liked her, but she was too trusting. If you're fighting for your life in a sick game, why would you be trusting people? But still, I liked her. I also like Rogan. He was a mystery in the beginning, but slowly we start to learn the truth about him. His attitude in the beginning was great. I like the sarcasm of his, but as the book progress, it slowly went away.

I really enjoyed the romance aspect of the book. It was kind of a forbidden thing, in a sense, and I'm a sucker for that. In the beginning, I wasn't all that into it, but I ended up rooting for two by the end of the book. As I mentioned before, there was tons of action in the story. It kept me reading because of all the things that were happening. The story was very fast paced! I am definitely glad I was able to give this book a try because I really enjoyed it. I would like to thank Netgalley for the review copy. All thoughts are my honest opinion!


13 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. I have read a book where main character has to play a game invented by some sick bastard and it was so real. I couldn't believe it. Anyhow I need to read this now. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you check it out Tanja! :) I'd love to see what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard much about this one either, but it does sound interesting! I love fast paced books, I lose interest very easily otherwise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I am the same exact way! I can lose interest in a book so easily if the book is slow paced. Things have to keep me intrigued!

      Delete
  3. This one is new to me but I think I have heard of the author before. I do love the genre, and the pacing sounds like a huge bonus.

    Side note, I can't wait to see your review on Hidden Wings, I'm reading that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read from the author and I'm curious to check out more of her work because I have another of her books sitting on my shelf :) Hidden Wings was pretty interesting!

      Delete
  4. This one sounds really interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed this on, it sounds intense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The romance sounds sreally good, and I haven't heard of this one before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have brought the book to your attention Brandi :)

      Delete
  6. I love forbidden romances too! I can't wait to meet Rogan and Kria. They sound like fabulous characters, plus I LOVE the concept of this. Its like Hunger Games meets In Time. I like that combination. Glad you enjoyed this Janina! :D Great review!

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol It does remind me of the Hunger Games in a way, but I've not read In Time though!

      Delete
  7. Sounds a bit like The Hunger Games with the whole rich people watching people in death games for entertainment. It does sound really good though! I love snarky characters, so I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete