Pages


Thursday, April 3, 2014

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant
(Divergent, #3)
by Veronica Roth
Released |October 22nd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books|
Edition |Hardcover, 526 pages|

Add to Goodreads
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 
I hate to say that I had to DNF this book, but I did. I was super excited to read Allegiant when it first released and I got it the day it came out I believe. But as time went on, I kept putting off reading it because of school and sort of lost that excitement for the book. I was also doing my best to avoid reading reviews because I didn't want to be spoiled and I was doing good until on a random blog post or goodreads or something, the spoiler came. I was sort of ticked off about it, but I still wanted to read the book and give it a try.

I started the book and was completely bored. When I went into reading Allegiant, I went into it with an open mind even though I already knew what happened. The entire time I was reading it I felt disconnected from both Tris and Four. I had no feelings towards either of the characters and that bothered me. So I decided to put the book down for the day and try again the next and it still happened. I felt absolutely nothing. No emotions, no excitement to be back in the world, NO NOTHING! Maybe it was because I was bored and felt like nothing was going on within the story besides talking. There wasn't any action going on or anything like that. By this point, I was fed up and figured since I already knew what happened I might as well DNF it because the book wasn't doing anything for me and I knew I wouldn't make through the rest.

So then I decided to read a bunch of spoiler filled reviews just to no more of what happened. I still wanted to know something since I made it through books one and two. I read good reviews and bad reviews. I found out about the government and Tris and Four and everything that happened in the book. After that, I went and talked to my mom because she read the book and finished it and I asked her what she thought of it. She didn't like it that much. I asked her what she'd rate it and she said either 2 or 3 stars. She thought the trilogy went downhill after the first book to sum it up. She loved the first book and thought the second was pretty good, but didn't care for the last. I enjoyed both the first and the second, but I just couldn't get back into the world for the third.

Overall, I don't know why I was so disconnected from the story. Maybe it was time or the fact that I was spoiled early on before I started the book, I honestly don't know. But I do now know what happens from all the spoiler filled review (good and bad) that I read after I put the book down and I also went back and read like the last ten chapters to see how Four dealt with everything. It sucks that I couldn't finish this, but I'm not sorry that I started the trilogy. I did enjoy both Divergent and Insurgent.
DNF

11 comments:

  1. Great review! I do agree with the book didn't deliver at some parts and I felt disconnected. I miss the world, but I didn't have me hooked back

    Happy Reading!
    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAHHHH I don't want to read this review, sorry. I saw one word and it was bored. *covers her eyes* um, I just saw the movie today and even though I didn't love it and found it to be quite mediocre, I finally have the motivation to finish the books so I want to pick Insurgent and Allegiant up from my shelves now. I'm sorry this was such a disappointment for you:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I hope you enjoy the second and the third book. I liked the second :) I still can't wait to see what you think of them Siiri!

      Delete
  3. To be honest i agree with your mom in the fact that the series went downhill after the first book. I like the first book was just so amazing and than the second was REALLY GOOD but was just missing something and than the third book was just urgh...annoying. I had alot of problems with that book but the huge shocker at the end was what saved it for me. I was justa ble to understand what it meant and how it was a something that was being built since the first book and how it comes into play with the themes and lessons the series tried to teach us. But i get how it wasn't for everyone.
    I'm sorry this was a DNF for you! Hopefully your next read it better!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end is what annoyed me lol but I'm glad I gave the trilogy a try.

      Delete
  4. It's kinda sad to see so many trilogies end on a whimper. I had the same with Hunger Games. I liked the first, I loved the second, I hated the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When going into a final book I'm always so nervous. I've finished more than 5 series so far this year and this one is the only one so far that I've had trouble with. I was sad about that.

      Delete
  5. Aw, so sorry to hear this one wasn't for you, but I understand. I loved the first and then this was least favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first one as well. It was so different, but this one just ended up not working out for me.

      Delete
  6. I have read lots of unfortunate reviews for this one, shame a series ended so badly ;/

    ReplyDelete