Pages


Monday, April 21, 2014

First Frost by Liz DeJesus

First Frost
(First Frost, #1)
by Liz DeJesus
Released |June 22nd 2012 by Musa Publishing|
Edition |Ebook|
Source |Author|

Add to Goodreads
For generations, the Frost family has run the Museum of Magical and Rare Artifacts, handing down guardianship from mother to daughter, always keeping their secrets to “family only.”
Gathered within museum’s walls is a collection dedicated to the Grimm fairy tales and to the rare items the family has acquired: Cinderella’s glass slipper, Snow White’s poisoned apple, the evil queen’s magic mirror, Sleeping Beauty’s enchanted spinning wheel…
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Frost wants none of it, dreaming instead of a career in art or photography or…well, anything except working in the family’s museum. She knows the items in the glass display cases are fakes because, of course, magic doesn’t really exist.
She’s about to find out how wrong she is.
First Frost was a very interesting read for me. Sometimes I get skeptical when I go into reading retellings, but First Frost was really enjoyable. I liked how the author mixed so many fairy tales into one story and made them relate to the character back to the character and her family's history. I also loved the idea behind the museum that Bianca's family owns. In this museum there are items that relate to just about every fairy tale that you can think of; a lock of Rapunzel's hair, a brick from the third little pigs house, the apple Snow White bit, one of Cinderella's glass slippers, Red Riding Hood's cape, etc!  I loved how there was also a 'wicked wing' in the museum. The characters in this book were pretty interesting as well. It took me a little while to warm up to Bianca, but I came to like her character in the end. She was a very strong and determined. And what I liked the most is that the side characters were amazing. I loved Ming, Prince Ferdinand and Terrance.


A couple of things I will say about the book is that it started off a bit slow too me. Not in a boring sort of way, but there was a little of detailed explaining and I felt like somethings tended to drag out a bit. It took a while for the 'action' part of the story to actually happen and I am a action kind of girl so that was a bit of a let down for me. Another thing that put me off was that the big reveal on the family history was accepted way too easily. There wasn't really much shock or argument or denial about it. But overall, I thought the story was pretty good. I loved the adventure that Bianca and friends went on to save her mother from the evil witch. First Frost was a fun, a light, and a fast paced read! I'd definitely like to thank the author for providing me with a review copy of this book. All thoughts are my honest opinion.

9 comments:

  1. I remember thinking how unique the story was by using fairytale items. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for multiple fairy tales comined into one story--that rarely happens. It's mostly one story that authors build their retellings upon. YAYYYY for awesome side characters :) And I'm glad you came to enjoy Bianca as the MC. Sorry it wasn't a perfect read for you, but I can totally understand why these things bothered you, especially the taking big reveals too easily. I hate when complex things and excessive build ups have an extremely easy solution. I'm glad that you enjoyed this as a whole though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the first I've read where so many are incorporated into one story :) THanks Siiri!

      Delete
  3. Eh, sad that it took a bit to get started with the action but sounds fun after that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but I'm glad the sequel didn't take so long to get into

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting take on fairy tale re-tellings. I like the whole idea of the magic artifacts museum. It's too bad about the pacing, I always get bored when authors spend to much time and detail explaining things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh i have to admit i'm serouisly interesed in this one just because a multiple of fairy tales aspects are in this book and there sort of combined and i don'y think i've read a book withat before. Great review!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Tanja liked this one too, but I'm not so sure it is a book for me.
    Great review, Janina.

    ReplyDelete