Pages


Thursday, July 24, 2014

Relinquish by Amy Thompson

Relinquish
(Lost Souls, #2)
by Amy Thompson
Released |June 17th 2014|
Edition |eARC|
Add to Goodreads
Regan has a life in Georgia. She is going to school, has managed to make some friends, and has even found a new love interest in Colter. So what happens when she can’t hide what she is anymore? When do all the lies become too much to handle? And how much longer can she hold onto her sanity—while Agro pushes her closer and closer to the edge of no return—her ascension to Elite?
Colter is beautifully oblivious. Wanting so much to believe that Regan is safe, and Agro has been halted, he ignores Finn’s constant skepticism at the risk of their friendship. Overlooking what is so clearly right in front of him, Colter passes off Regan’s outbursts of emotion on her recent trauma. Colter can feel Regan—his one exception to his retribution—slipping out of his arms, but fighting her to stay with him may not be an option.
Colter and Finn are now at odds, and there is a newly formed alliance between Kaiden and Exile Max. Will this group of Collectors be enough to fight off the new enemies and old threats that emerge in the battle for souls when Regan is broken, and their group is on the brink of self-destruction?
The lost will be found, the Collectors will be exiled, and the Elites will reign
Contains a little bit of spoilers
Relinquish was a DNF for me. I received this for review and feel bad that I have to write this review, but I have to give my honest opinion. I read book one not to long ago and I thought it was okay. I was hoping that Relinquish would be better than the first and in the beginning it seemed like it would be. As I continued reading, things just started to go downhill. I tried so hard to push through this book because the plot is actually pretty interesting and I like finding out more about the things that go on in the story. I feel like this series had good potential to be a good one, but my dislike for the main character completely turned me off from the series. The plot of the story is pretty good and all the characters are enjoyable except the main character Regan. She literally made me want to scream. The main character wasn't my favorite in book one and in book two she was absolutely the worst. I made it to 54% and that's when I had to call it quits and stop forcing myself.


Now, the four guys are not bad characters. I actually really enjoy finding out about them. Even the bad guys aren't annoying. But then there's REGAN. Regan, the character that I could not connect with and the character that frustrated me to the point of giving up on this book. I was really disappointed with that because I was enjoying the book. Of course, her character was going through some things but then she completely switched. Her actions completely turned me off. The first thing that turned me off was her kissing other guys when she had a boyfriend. She kissed not one, but two other guys while still in a relationship with Colter. I don't know about you but I consider kissing other men cheating when you're in a relationship. And then once again she's flirting with Colter's brother. Strike two! I mean, she did that in book one and it annoyed. WTF? Strike three and four is up next. All of a sudden she 'finds herself' and now it's 'fuck Colter' and the rest of the collectors when they've been protecting her and saving her life since day one. And not only that you leave them for a stranger? The enemy? I don't get it. So insert new guy and she flips sides at the snap of a finger.

Regan was an unstable character and very all over the place. I didn't see her change a good one. I see her as weak character because she is extremely gullible. This was all disappointing because I was loving the book in the beginning and then she went through some sort of character transformation and I started disliking it. I became extremely frustrated and finally decided to just put the book down. One character blew it for me.
DNF


Random Side Note: The book I read before this was a DNF and then I read this one and it became a DNF. I'm starting to think the back to back DNF's put me in the reading slump that I've been trying to get out of for the past month in a half. But I'm slowing getting out of it now :) Hopefully I won't have anymore DNF's anytime soon. I've never had two DNFs back to back.


7 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Have you read all of them recently? That's a second DNF review in a row for you. So sorry that the second book was a DNF not a 4-5 star read :( I was really hoping that things would pick up for you! It's so annoying when you don't like the MC since it's just.. yeah. How can you connect with a story like that? So sorry she really isn't your cup of tea :( So she cheats? Just no, girl. *shakes head* DEAL WITH YOUR PROBLEMS AND DUMP THE GUY IF YOU DON'T LIKE HIM. GEEZ >.< Seems like she has a multiple personality disorder if you ask me. So sorry that the MC is just. Ugh. Frustrating. I hope your slump will end soon and if you haven't read Thrive yet, DO SO! :) Connor, Ryke and Lo are waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that this one wasn't as good as you hoped it would be. I guess when you don't like the main character it's really hard to like the story. I hope your next read will be amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh it sucks when a book isn't as good as the last one (although you were hoping this one would be better than the first book BUT STILL) You've had a lot of DNF reads lately janina i hope you end up reading a really good five star read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Regan sounds like a major player and cheater who absolutely don't think about other people, especially her boyfriend. How come she's okay with that? You have a boyfriend and you willingly kiss other guys? Yeah, that's not my thing, either :(

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover of this one a lot- but I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this one and couldn't finish it. Not liking the MC can be very tough. Hope an awesome book is waiting for you next! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that sucks. It's so sad when a good book is ruined by a weak protagonist. Although I actually enjoyed reading Twilight, I had a hard time with some parts because Bella just made me so mad. The book has a beautiful cover though, and an interesting blurb. Too bad about the main character :(

    ~K.J. Bryen, http://plungingintothenovel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh... another DNF :( But it's really tough to continue reading when you don't like the main protagonist.. Thanks for your honest review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete