Pages


Monday, February 17, 2014

Fates by Lanie Bross

Fates
(Fates, #1)
by Lanie Bross
Released |February 11th 2014 by Delacorte Press|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.
She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.
But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?
Fates started out as a good read. I was intrigued with the plot and the characters and overall enjoying the story. The very first chapter of the story made me want to know more and continue on reading because it started off intense. I was hooked. The story was different from the majority of the book that I've read and it wasn't what I was expecting. That's not a bad thing. I found Corinthe to be intriguing and her issue with the choices she had to make and the feelings behind it were a great part of the story. Everyone struggles with a decision or a crossroad at some point in their life, so that was believable. Luc was interesting as well. By chance or by 'fate' the two meet and their lives were intertwined ever since.


But then we get to the halfway point of the story and things changed. I became so confused with what was going on. The switching of scenes and places left my mind boggled and I had no idea how to piece the story back together. Everything was going great up until that point and the book went downhill from there. If it wasn't for that, I really would have enjoyed the story a whole lot more. The ending was pretty interesting and wasn't so bad. Corinthe's final decision at her crossroad and Luc's promise made me intrigued in maybe checking out the sequel, but I don't know for sure. I definitely have mixed feelings about this book because it started off good. The last half just left me really confused and lost.

All thoughts are my honest opinion. I received a copy for review through Netgalley.


10 comments:

  1. The plot and characters sound good at the beginning, but sorry it overall fell flat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad this was original in some ways for you. Ohh, this sucks! I hate it when you have invested so much time and effort into reading a book and the nall of a sudden it just completely falls apart. I hope that if you do give the sequel a go, it'll be highly entertaining and will redeem the first book. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do give the sequel a try I really hope I like it better because the story line was pretty good.

      Delete
  3. I had a guest reviewer cover this one for me and she had the same feelings. I do love the look of the cover though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is awesome :) And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the book got confusing!

      Delete
  4. You never want a book to get worse as you go along! Sorry the second half was just too confusing/not as good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but unfortunately this one was that way for me.

      Delete
  5. Sorry the last half of the book fell flat. It does sound like a unique storyline and the cover is pretty. I am glad you shared your honest review with us. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete