Pages


Thursday, February 20, 2014

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss
(The Dark Elements, #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released |February 25th 2014 by Harlequin Teen|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
One kiss could be the last.
Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.
Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.
Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.
But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.
White Hot Kiss was a fast paced read for me and I was easily able to dive into the story. Jennifer L. Armentrout books are able to do that to me. Going into this book, I really didn't have any expectations because I didn't really know what I was going to get. The whole gargoyle thing really had me intrigued and I was curious to see how that would turn out. Overall, I thought the book was fun and entertaining. There also a good amount of action in the story which keeps the pacing steady.


In this book, there is a love triangle. It wasn't too bad, but I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it in the next book. I found Layla to be a pretty interesting character. She is half gargoyle (Warden) and half demon. The wardens are pretty much "the angels" and then we have the demons. Well, that how I liked to looked at it. But anyways, Layla was pretty hot and cold for me. At times I thought she was pretty interesting, but then at other times I thought she was kind of boring. And then there are Roth and Zayne, the love interests. In the beginning, I didn't really care for either one of them to be honest. Roth, the demon, was your typical asshole and Zayne was your typical caring good guy. Both were awesome in a fight, but I didn't really feel that connection to either of them in the beginning. As the book progress, I kind of started leaning towards Roth because that who we spent the most time with. But, I really don't know if I'm on a 'Team' yet. I did come to like both guys by the end of the book. I just don't know where I stand yet. I have a feeling the love triangle will pick up more in the sequel.

A couple things I have to say as well is that I never had a clear image of what the demon and wardens looked like in their shifted forms. I was never able to envision it in my mind. Also, the characters, Roth and Zayne, remind me of Aiden and Seth in the authors Covenant series. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing because I really liked that series. Overall, I still enjoyed the story and thought it was a fun, lightweight read. I'll definitely give the sequel a try to see where the story will take us next.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I like the sound of Layla being half warden and half demon. Sounds like there's some great fantasy elements in here. I need a good PNR again. Lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read a book that involved gargoyles! I found that to be so interesting :)

      Delete
  2. Oh nice! I am absolutely dying to read this, yet all the ARC avenues are ignoring my requests. No approval or outright rejection. So I am going absolutely insane with the waiting! Preordered a copy and praying it falls under the receive it on release day delivery.

    Great review! So far I've been hearing all good things about this one! I love gargoyles and JLA's writing, so this sounds like a win-win. Have hear a few things that nagged at people in regards to romance, but hoping that it won't nag at me so much either. Overall, it seems like you enjoyed it and that's always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that as well. I still have Don't look back by Jla (i think that's the name) still sitting as an unanswered request. So frustrating! Just let me know already lol

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited to read this book! I'm a big fan of the author. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bhaha. I find it funny how you aren't on either of the teams. I do like the sound of Roth even if he is a big a-hole and a Daemon Black copycat, but I think that Zayne is a great guy (based on the novella I read). I'm so glad you enjoyed this and I can't wait for my pre-order to arrive already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say Roth, but I just don't know because I have a feeling book two might annoy me in the romance department lol

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to reading this one, thought it be like the 4th demon book I have read within a month o.- lots of new books that I been picking up seem to have them in it.... must be the year of demons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I look a book that involves demons. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. Hmm at the love triangle, but I will have to see who I fall for or if I can make up my mind. I have been curious about the gargoyle spin

    ReplyDelete