Pages


Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

The Dead and Buried
by Kim Harrington
Released |January 1st 2013 by Scholastic Point|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.
Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.
Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?

The Dead and Buried was a fast paced mystery that I devoured in less than a day. I haven't read too many mysteries or ghost books, and the fact that this dealt with both was pretty awesome. The mystery element of the story is what I liked the most. Trying to figure out who the killer was along with the main protangonist, Jade, made me continue to flip the pages and not want to put the book down! I was dying to find out who did it :)


I must say that the beginning of the story was a little bit slow for me. Not extremely slow, but slow enough. And in the beginning, I also didn't really know what to expect. I thought it was going to be your typical high school drama, but that wasn't it at all. Jade and her family has moved into a new house in a new town and soon she and her little brother find the house is being haunted by the ghost of a former student, Kayla. And the only way to get rid of the ghost who is threatening her family's life is to find out who the killer was. I thought Jade was a pretty great character. She was a kind person and her love for her brother was so sweet to see. At she could be a bit boring since she was a 'good girl', but I did like her. Soon we meet Kane and Donovan. Donovan was your typical artsy, weird guy and who was once the boyfriend of Kayla. I liked him a lot, but I still feel as though we don't know THAT much about him. I did like the connection between him and Jade, but I felt the relationship between the two could have been develop a little more and better. Kane, I didn't care for.

The book had some really good mystery behind it. And the mystery aspect is what kept me so intrigued with the story. I liked going through all the possible prospects of who the killer might be and I loved putting together the pieces of the puzzle. I did not guess who the killer was, but the person wasn't that much of shocker. I didn't have one of those OMG moments, but I did enjoy all that led up to it.

Overall, I thought the book was pretty good, but felt it could have been better. I receive a copy for review via Netgalley. All thoughts are my honest opinion!


8 comments:

  1. I haven't read much ghost stories either so I might give this one a try. I haven't seen this book around and it does sound interesting :) Great review Janina.

    PS. I just realized that I haven't added your button to my blogroll *facepalm* I will add it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thoughts on this one, it moved a little slow, but I did like the spooky parts. The mystery could've been a little stronger too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. It was just lacking in some areas.

      Delete
  3. Hold on a minute! I though this was a mystery-crime-contemporary or something along those, but it's a paranormal mystery book? Hmhh.. I don't know if I'm gonna read this one, though. I'm in the middle of Hereafter trilogy which features ghosts and I don't want to mix up two different ghost storylines. I am glad that the mystery was good though - I love Agatha Christie and I never seem to guess who the killer is in her stories so this book might be on my radar after I'm done with Hereafter series. Thanks for sharing, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a ghost haunting the house and terrorizing the girl.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the mystery even if the beginning was slow.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete