Pages


Monday, March 25, 2013

Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland

Vengeance Bound
by Justina Ireland
Released |April 2nd 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Edelweiss|
Add to Goodreads

Cory Graff is not alone in her head. Bound to a deal of desperation made when she was a child, Cory’s mind houses the Furies—the hawk and the serpent—lingering always, waiting for her to satisfy their bloodlust. After escaping the asylum where she was trapped for years, Cory knows how to keep the Furies quiet. By day, she lives a normal life, but by night, she tracks down targets the Furies send her way. And she brings down Justice upon them.
Cory’s perfected her system of survival, but when she meets a mysterious boy named Niko at her new school, she can’t figure out how she feels about him. For the first time, the Furies are quiet in her head around a guy. But does this mean that Cory’s finally found someone who she can trust, or are there greater factors at work? As Cory’s mind becomes a battlefield, with the Furies fighting for control, Cory will have to put everything on the line to hold on to what she’s worked so hard to build.

I've been really excited to get my hands on a copy of Vengeance Bound for the longest time. It was one of my top tbr books for 2013! Anything involving Greek Mythology is always a plus me and the fact that this book involved the Furies had me even more intrigued because I haven't read too many books involving them. I found Vengeance Bound to be a very interesting read and I really enjoyed the story.


Our main protagonist, Cory, has been trapped in an asylum for years and has finally escape. With the two other furies being in the back of mind and she being the third, she always has a need to extract vengeance of the guilty. The whole concept of the Furies being apart of her kept me interested. I thought it was an awesome idea, especially with how they would manifest when the need came. But the Furies themselves are tad bit crazy. Throughout the book they continuously try to take over Cory's mind and dominate her into killing more and more of the 'guilty'. I thought Cory was a pretty decent character. At times she would annoy me when she would feel the need to give up. I don't like that kind of attitude, but then again, I don't know how she continued to be strong when they always whispered evil things in her mind, except when Niko was around. And that lead me to Niko. I liked Niko :) I didn't fall in love with him as a character, but he was an added mystery to the story. He was sweet and understanding. And the connection the two had reminded me of puppy love, but that's not a bad thing. It was just cute!

Then there were the side character, Cory's group of friends. To me, they were all screwed up. Gossiping Jocelyn, who I kind of liked even though she was a tad bit annoying. Tom wasn't really that much of a character and Adam was weird. And then there was Amber who tried her best to do mean things to Cory. I never could figure out what her deal was. Maybe jealousy? And then Mindi. OMG, I knew there was something going on with that girl. Especially towards the end! And the ending didn't really satisfy me. I mean it did, but I wish there was more between that last conversation between Niko and Cory.

The only fault I would have to say about the book is that it was tad bit slow paced and in the beginning we only really say Cory's need for vengeance and nothing else. But overall, I enjoyed the story and thought it was a pretty good read. I was hoping this was a series. I would love to know what happens to Mindi. Thanks to Edelweiss for a review copy of Vengeance Bound. All thoughts are my honest opinion!


10 comments:

  1. I've seen some amazing reviews for this one. I even remember when the book was about to be published everyone were crazy about it. Sounds really good and I like it has some mythology in it. Too bad it's slow paced but first books mostly are. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about first books being kind of slow! I almost forgot to post my review for this!!

      Delete
  2. Ah, the ending sounds like it might drive me crazy. Thanks for review I can't decide if I want to read this one or not.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was a bit insane! :) I didn't and still don't know what to think of it.

      Delete
  3. I love everything to do with greek mythology too! Have you seen the upcoming release Furies? It sounds awesome, LOL! Anywho, Cory sounds like a good character, but I have problems with characters giving up too...I can understand in her case, though, with the furies and all. I'm really curious to read about all of the characters now-- you seem excited about them! Great review, Janina! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek Mythology is awesome to me and yes I've seen Furies. I really want to read that one! :)

      Delete
  4. Slow paced beginnings are always hard for me, but I like the Greek Mythology aspect. Still not sure if I'mg gonna read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mythology, especially Greek and I totally agree about slow paced beginnings!

      Delete
  5. I have this on my Kindle and I've been looking forward to reading it! I'm definitely into mythology retellings these days =)

    ReplyDelete