Pages


Thursday, March 28, 2013

White Lines by Jennifer Banash

White Lines
by Jennifer Banash
Released |April 4th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile|
Edition |Physical ARC|
Source |Publisher|

Add to Goodreads

A gritty, atmospheric coming of age tale set in 1980s New York City.
Seventeen-year-old Cat is living every teenager’s dream: she has her own apartment on the Lower East Side and at night she’s club kid royalty, guarding the velvet rope at some of the hottest clubs in the city. The night with its crazy, frenetic, high-inducing energy—the pulsing beat of the music, the radiant, joyful people and those seductive white lines that can ease all pain—is when Cat truly lives. But her daytime, when real life occurs, is more nightmare than dream. Having spent years suffering her mother’s emotional and physical abuse, and abandoned by her father, Cat is terrified and alone—unable to connect to anyone or anything. But when someone comes along who makes her want to truly live, she’ll need to summon the courage to confront her demons and take control of a life already spinning dangerously out of control.
Both poignant and raw, White Lines is a gripping tale and the reader won’t want to look away.

White Lines was a very emotional read that left my feelings scrambled. So much happens in the story that makes your heart go out to, not just the main character, but to a lot of the characters also. I am so happy that I received a copy for review from the publisher! This was a read that I didn't know what it was about or what I would think of it, but in the end, I enjoyed the story.


Like I said before, this was an emotional read. The protagonist, Cat, has had so much happen to her in her past that she's basically a shell of a person. She goes through life day by day with no feelings towards anything. She's afraid to get close to people and let them in, besides her best friend. Throughout this book, I felt for Cat. I just wanted to reach through the book and give her a hug and tell her to let all those bottled up emotions OUT! I could relate to her in so many ways. Piece by piece, we figure out all the things that have happened to her and what has made her the person she has became. The relationship between Cat and her Mother is, I think, what made me feel sorry for her the most. For her to have been continuously treated that way for years and years by someone who is 'suppose' to be there for you always was horrible to see, and to also have it overlooked by her father?! That was even worse.

When Cat meets Julian for the first time, I thought things would get better. But it was kind of a gradual process. I liked Julian, but wished there was more of him in this book. He would make an appearance ever so often, but I just wished it was a little bit more.

Towards the end I do think Cat started to come to a realization. It was a slow process. Yes, some of the choices she made I thought were stupid and led to some of the things that went wrong, but I do feel she grew as a person. Also, Giovanni was another heart clincher there towards the end. We knew he had some issues while reading the book, but... Overall, I thought this was an awesome story. I would definitely recommend this book! It was emotional, but I like reading books like this.

All thoughts are my honest opinion!


13 comments:

  1. Wow, it really does sound emotional. I was wondering about this book. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book that has been on my list for too long. I really like the things you said. Sounds like a really emotional read and I love them. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books are on your tbr :) I know the feeling!

      Delete
  3. I don't know that I'm ready for such an emotionally intense read right now, but I WILL keep it in mind. Also, I'm kind of glad that, from what I gathered, Julian didn't just waltz in and fix all her problems in a blink. That's not how life works, it would be far too unrealistic.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the mood for an emotional read as well and I think this book did a great job at keeping things realistic.

      Delete
  4. I heard of this one before, but the cover is so generic, I didn't even look at the blurb. Now I'm glad I did, it sounds pretty amazing. NY in the 80's? I'll have to check it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. I'll definitely have to give this one a shot! I love the idea of New York in the 80's, and cat sounds really broken and real. I think I'll love her. Fabulous review, Janina! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I don't really read too many books that's set in the before the present.

      Delete
  6. I was pretty disappointed by this book, probably because of the VERY slow process.. I wished Julian appeared more as well. Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you wouldn't like the slowness. I'm usually like that as well!

      Delete
  7. So pleased that you liked the book! If you ever want to do a giveaway or interview, please contact me at jbanash@bwscampus.com

    ReplyDelete