Pages


Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fake ID by Lamar Giles

Fake ID
by Lamar Giles
Released |January 21st 2014 by HarperCollins|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Edelweiss|

Add to Goodreads
Nick Pearson is hiding in plain sight…
My name isn’t really Nick Pearson.
I shouldn’t tell you where I’m from or why my family moved to Stepton, Virginia.
I shouldn’t tell you who I really am, or my hair, eye, and skin color.
And I definitely shouldn’t tell you about my friend Eli Cruz and the major conspiracy he was about to uncover when he died—right after I moved to town. About how I had to choose between solving his murder with his hot sister, Reya, and “staying low-key” like the Program has taught me. About how moving to Stepon changed my life forever.
But I’m going to.
I've been reading a lot of fast paced reads lately and Fake ID was no exception. Mystery with some mob-ish/criminal elements going on within the book equals awesome for me! I didn't really no what to expect when I started reading this book. All I knew was that the synopsis had me intrigued and the more I continued to read, the more I became glued to the story. There were a lot of twists to keep you guessing at was to come next.  I would recommend this to those who enjoys mystery books :)


In the start of the book we find out that Nick and his family are in the Witness Protection Program and have been hidden within it for years. Nick's dad is the reason they're in the program to begin with because he was apart of the mob or something of the sort. I really, really liked the mystery of Stepon and the murders and those two elements kept me deep into the story. In the beginning things were a tad bit slow, but not too slow. Once things started picking up, I really couldn't put the book down. Nick was a pretty interesting character. I loved his way of thinking. He's been on the run with his family and has been around criminal activity for so long that he's always on guard and cautious around everyone he meets. I really appreciate that we got to know Eli a little bit even though we KNOW that he's going to die. I found it nice because we got to see the kind of person that he was before things started to hit the fan.

And then we meet Reya. As a character she was pretty cool and feisty, but as a love interest, I don't know. I liked her and I found her family pretty interesting, but she kind of disappointed me towards the end of the story. The relationship between Nick, his mom and his dad was also interesting to read about. It was very dysfunctional, but that to be expected because of the reason they're in the Witness Protection Program to begin with. I suppose I was hoping to see more growth in the family relationship, but there wasn't too much of it until the very end.

When things are finally revealed, I didn't really see it coming as to who did what. But it wasn't an 'OMG surprise moment', it was more of an 'I should have seen that one coming' type of feeling. But I did like how it all played out :) I'm hoping there's a sequel, I'm thinking there is because of the way the book ended. I really enjoy the story overall and would definitely recommend those who like mysteries to give the book a try.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting! I love the mystery aspect in this one and the characters and their relationships sound really interesting. Great review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh the witness protection? I don't think I've read a YA book (or any book actually) about that! Such an interesting premise though, because you have the characters struggling to escape their past, but also struggling to start fresh in the present.

    Glad this one kept up the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the witness protection aspect :) It was well played!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great read. I often avoid mystery stories as they end up being everything but mysterious. Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a mystery book is mysterious, then I think the whole point of the book is lacking lol

      Delete
  4. This definitely sounds very interesting! I don't know how much I'd like it... witness protection is an amazing premise, but I like a little more backstory than what it sounds like you got. Awesome review, Janina! I'm glad that you liked this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a book about witness protection before, but it sounds interesting! I know that feeling! It's not flabbergasting, because deep down you probably knew it was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Premiumfakes best fake id websites 2021

    ReplyDelete