Pages


Monday, December 30, 2013

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers
(Jasper Dent, #1)
by Barry Lyga
Released |April 3rd 2012 by Little, Brown and Company|
Edition |Audio|

Add to goodreads
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?
Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.
But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.
And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.
In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?
Listening to audio books really help me in trying to get out of a reading slump. That's why I decided to pick up I Hunt Killers on audio from my library. I felt it was a good book, but I feel like I missed out on a lot of the story because I just wasn't in a reading mood and I was losing focus and not paying attention to the narrator a lot of the times in the beginning. It took me about 3/9 parts to finally start getting into the story, understanding the characters, and liking the story as a whole. When I finally started listening to the story fully, I started to really enjoy it. I found Jasper Dent to be an interesting character. His way of thinking was unusual and might be considered weird by many people. I didn't know if I wanted to sympathize with Jasper in the beginning because I didn't know if he would become the bad person that every thought he would be. Being the son of a serial killer was hard on Jasper and it messed with his mind. His father was freaking psychotic, a serial killer! He murdered, raped and just violated over a hundred women and liked to tell Jasper about what he did. What? So you can just imagine how that started to affect Jasper.


But as the book continued, I really started rooting for Jazz. I wanted him to come out on top and be a good person and not follow into his Dad's footsteps. But what I liked most about the book was the mystery of the new serial killer in town who is copying the murders of his father. Jazz is very persuasive in a way when it comes to getting what he wants and he also very smart. Jazz and his friend Howie, who I adored, were trying to help the police into figuring out the who might be behind the murders. Even though you see Jazz being a strong character, he also has a very frail mind because of everything that he's been through. I liked that he had some great character development. You could see the change in him by the end of the story :) Howie and Connie, Jazz best friend and girlfriend, were an added benefit to the story. I think they make the story better to helped to show that Jazz does have a heart and can cares about other people. Overall, the story was really good and I definitely want to continue with the next book in the series. I would recommend this to those of you who enjoy mystery and crime books.

10 comments:

  1. I was in reading slump until few days ago but I think all the stress about classes was something that caused it. Anyhow I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and it sounds like something I'd enjoy too. Great review, Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classes play a part in mine when I have them, but I've been like this the entire month. Absolutely sucks!

      Delete
  2. I like that the name of the MC is Jasper (my boyfriends name) :p I'm always in for a good mystery, so this doesn't sound too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute :) This was really different than most mysteries I've read!

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this one. It's been on my wish list for awhile now! I'm glad you found it interesting overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read it because it was pretty good. And it would have been better for me had I have waited to read it.

      Delete
  4. I checked this one out one time but never got around to reading it. I'm in a slump too so it's good to read some good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete