Pages


Sunday, April 8, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Title: Struck (Struck, #1)
Author: Jennifer Bosworth
Release Date: May 8th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR 
Edition: Hardcover, 373 pages
Source: Netgalley




Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.




My Thoughts:
This was a book that was completely different than any book I have ever read. A girl who is struck by lightning continuously! How intriguing does that sound?

I did enjoy this book. I really enjoyed the plot, but at times it fell a little short which disappointed me. I had high hopes for this book, but some elements about it didn't catch my attention. The storyline kept me reading because it was so different. I wanted to know where the book would lead me next. What I did love about this book was that it kept me guessing. I never figured out who the villain was until it was actually revealed. This book did have some suspense, which kept me flipping the pages to find out what happened next.

The character were okay, but they weren't amazing. Mia's character, I had a hard time connecting with. I liked the role she played when it came to the storm and things, but as a character, I just didn't connect with her. The things she was going through with the whole lightning thing was kind of weird to me. I just couldn't imagine being addicted to lightning. And some of the things I wish she did, she didn't do. But what I loved about Mia, was that when it came to protecting her mother and her brother she was always there. She tried to keep them safe no matter what it took. Her mother, basically facing depression and her brother, to me, just didn't know how to handle his emotions.

Jeremy. I really liked his character and the role he played, including Mia's love interest. I couldn't picture myself swooning over him, but I did really like his character. Jeremy and Mia's romance, I enjoyed. I think it was probably one of my favorite parts in the book. I thought it was great and I feel Mia did need someone to be there for her.

The ending I love, but it's not what I expected. The action, the drama, and the suspense was all there. Like I said before, I was always trying to guess and figure out what would happen, but my guesses never turned out to be right :) Which, I am glad for.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and will be reading the sequel whenever it releases. It was a different and enjoyable read, but I wish it could have had more to it. I do recommend it, if this is the kind of genre you like or the kind of elements you love in a book!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. I'm looking forward to reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really interesting, I can't imagine being addicted to lightening either. Great review, I'm looking forward to being able to read this one.

    ReplyDelete