Pages


Sunday, October 14, 2012

Chasers by James Phelan

Chasers
(Alone, #1)
by James Phelan
Released |October 30th 2012 by K-Teen|
Edition |E-ARC|
Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads

The trip of a lifetime just turned into the end of the world.
When Jesse crawls out of the wreckage of a subway car and emerges into daylight, he’s greeted by a living nightmare. An unexplained force has destroyed New York City, turning skyscrapers into ash, cutting off all power and communication. Jesse and his new friends, Dave, Anna and Mini are dazed but unhurt. The other survivors are not so lucky. Every human being they encounter is infected, gripped by an unquenchable thirst that drives them to monstrous acts of violence.
Somehow, Jesse has to escape. But first, he has to stay alive.

When I started reading this book, I really didn't know what to expect going into it. I love when I really don't know what to expect out of book because the unknown is what keeps you intrigued. James's writing style really kept me flipping the pages. If you are a fan of the Gone series by Michael Grant, I really think you should give this book a go :)


I really enjoy the plot of the story. Even though I've read books like it, I thought it was unique in its own way.  The whole issue with the 'chasers' was really interesting. They were like, a mix of zombie and vampires all in one, which was awesome! The theme to this book is survival. Our four main characters are trying to survive in a world that has been destroyed. They're the only ones out there, other than the chasers, and they're trying to figure out a way out of Manhattan and find civilization, if there's even any.

But the thing about this book is that everything was okay and it was interesting, but it was missing the element that makes you fall in love with a book. The story was missing something. I don't know what it's missing, but it was missing that special something lol I felt the book could have been better than what it was if it had that missing element. I mean don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story. I finished this book within a day! It was interesting enough and had my attention that the pages just kept turning.

The ending was a real shocker for me. I seriously was not expecting that at all. I had the reread the 'big reveal' 3 times just to fully grasp what I had just read. I couldn't believe it! I can't wait to read the second book to see what happens next.

I would like to thanks Netgalley for an E-ARC of Chasers. All thoughts are my own and honest opinion! :)

4 comments:

  1. Great review dear! Im glad that you liked the writing style, because for me, thats very important for me!! But i hate it when a book has something missing :(
    = Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farah! If you would've had that certain something, the book would have been so much better. But it was still pretty good though :)

      Delete
  2. Transparently this is James Phelan's first attempt at writing a YA book... It's not too bad, the story line is very interesting and dramatic.

    regards,
    irene of Lighted Ice Cubes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about this book... :\\ I understand what you mean....although the writing was okay, I also need that "it" factor that makes you fall in love with a book. For me that's also important. Sorry it didn't do it for you in that aspect, but you do have me curious about the ending. It definitely sounds interesting! I'm not sure if I'll pick this up, but if I do maybe *hopefully* I'll enjoy it!

    Great review, Janina! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete