Pages


Thursday, October 4, 2012

Insanity by Lauren Hammond

Insanity
(Asylum, #1)
by Lauren Hammond
Released |May 8th 2012 by S.B. Addison Books|
Edition |Ebook, 190 pages|
Add to Goodreads

Sometimes love...can drive you crazy.
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn't be more opposite.
Adelaide's mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.
Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.
Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.
And they had a plan.
They were going to run away.
Be together forever.
And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.
Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure...
She wants out.
And after Damien follows her there to aid her in escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.
And it doesn't take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes...
That one true love never dies.

I recently found out about this book through goodreads and was really excited to read it. I saw some pretty great reviews on there, which made me want to read it even more. For some reason, I just really wanted to get this book! I loved the cover :) And when I saw it was only $0.99 on amazon, I instantly bought it. But, this book fell flat for me, really flat. I was so disappointed with this book, I don't even know where to begin. But keep in mind the book wasn't all bad though, I mean the majority of it was bad, but I'll get to all that.


*Sigh. Like I said before, I was really excited for this book because I saw so many amazing reviews on goodreads, so I was like 'Okay, the book sounds pretty awesome!'. But, it wasn't that awesome to me. First  off, I was confused throughout pretty much the entire book and when I say confused, I mean, 'every other page I stop and stare with a WTF look written on my face'. Like seriously, the book was just confusing, but I would continue to read on hoping that my confusion would be cleared up. But no, it just got MORE confusing, page after freaking page.

Next, is the characters. I can't say that I don't like Adelaide, but she was the reason I was so confused. The book was weird, let me tell you. I figured that out from the flipping back and forth between the past and the present. But anyways, I think I liked Adelaide's character, but the girl took me on a roller coaster ride throughout the entire book. And you do sympathize with her because of the situation she had with her abusive father. Now, reading about that suck and totally felt sorry for her. Then there was Damien's character. The 'past' romance between the two was too cheesy for me. The romance was just too lovey dovey, with a my love this and you are my heart that. Major blah! You didn't even see any relationship development between the two. I know it was the past, but one minute they were introduced 'in the past' and then they were lovers in this deep relationship 'in the past'. But then there was the whole 'after' thing, which was again WTF. Damien was there in the 'after' chapters. But oh no, was he really there at all?! ._0 I figured that part out waaaaayyy before it actually got to it. Shocker!

But like I said, there was a bit of good to the story. The only part that I liked about the book was that it kept me turning the page just so I can finally find out what happened to make Adelaide block out of memory of the night she sent to the asylum. It was interesting to see what happened with her and Damian, even though I already new. But the part about her mother I didn't guess. And the part with good ol' Dr. Watson, now that was the shock of a lifetime. I kind of figured something was going on there, but I didn't know since Adelaide didn't know, but I knew something was up when she seen that picture of the baby in the his office. That last part is the only reason I bought the sequel, which is $1.99, to find out what the hell is going to happen next because the ending was, by far, the best part of the story.

So yeah, I don't know, maybe some of you might come to love this book. I would say give it a try if the synopsis has caught your attention. This is just my personal opinion. Like I said before, there were awesome 5 star reviews on gr and maybe you might like it, but for me, nah. But, there was a little light at the end of the tunnel for this book. I will read book 2, which I already bought. I'm just hoping it's better than the first :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about this book. But I also like the cover and before reading your review I wanted to read it. Too bad cause it sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Tanja @Ja Ĩitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this cause my friend told me it was great. Now I'm not so sure. Too bad,it sounded really great.

    ReplyDelete