Pages


Monday, May 20, 2013

Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

Spirit
(Elemental, #3)
by Brigid Kemmerer
Released |May 28th 2013 by K Teen|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley|

Add to Goodreads

With power comes enemies. Lots of them.
Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.
He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.
Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.
With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust…
I don't know how Brigid Kemmerer did it, but she really had me changing my feelings towards Hunter in this book. Hunter was my least favorite person of this series and I never understand why he was always up in the mix with the Merrick brothers, but I'm glad my perception of him change and I finally got to understand and listen to his story. Once again, the author added another great installment in the elemental series :) Her writing style is amazing and it never fails to captivate me. There was so much action and emotions that went on in this story that I couldn't believe! I definitely recommend this series :)


I guess I should start off with, none other than, Hunter Garrity himself. I was not feeling Hunter, AT ALL, since the very first elemental book, Storm. I agree with the brothers. He was untrustworthy and was always up to something. You never new if he was going to back stab you or what...But in Spirit, you really get into Hunter's mind and start to understand why he thinks the way he thinks and all the emotions he has bottled up inside. I mind he pretty much lived by what his father told her and to sum it up that was to use people before they could use you. WTF? Wonderful parenting at its finest isn't it?! (sarcasm) But I really found myself sympathizing with Hunter throughout the story even though I didn't want to! lol It was a struggling for me to come from hating Hunter to feeling sorry for him to hating him again and then wanting others to understand him. But sometimes, his indecision on who to help and trust was so annoying! I mean, who's been helping you the entire time, even though yall have a love hate relationship?!

And then there was Kate. *stops to wipe a stray tear* OMG, I was not expecting that at all! I kind of new the person she would become in the story and I had really high hopes for her to see if she would make the right decisions. This was the emotional punch to the gut that killed me! I was all, 'Finally, someone for Hunter!' and the boom...My heart lay at my feet hurting for him :( But on to the next! I really loved the connection that he and Kate shared.

I swear Gabriel is just adorable! LOL :) To just kick someone in the ribs like that? Don't judge me...I accept him and his faults ;P And I think Michael is amazing. He's the caring big brother that everyone wants in their family. I can't wait to read his story! 2014 and you come a bit faster so we can get more Nick and Michael! This book had tons of action in it :) And I wasn't really expecting it. It was page after page of non stop action and I was highly impressed! I really enjoyed this installment in the series and I can't wait for the next :D

I received a copy for review via Netgalley and all thoughts are my honest opinion.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this. I really enjoyed the first two books, and this sounds even more amazing. I'm looking forward to finding out more about Hunter in Spirit :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Yet another series that I haven't starter. You're good at reviewing these. I've heard only great things about this whole series and I hope I'll get a chance to read it. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance :) I'm really enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. I still don't know how I feel about Hunter, to be honest, but I definitely understand him better, and I feel some sympathy for him, which is a definite step up.
    This one surprised me completely, it took some unexpected turns and I really liked it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit in a mix still too, but this book helped to understand him more

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you liked this one! I'm due to start it soon, so it's nice to know that it's still good by the third book. ;) I don't know who Hunter is, but glad you made up your mind about him. ;) Awesome review, Janina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I love the merricks and gabriel is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete