Pages


Monday, May 13, 2013

Uprising by Jessica Therrien

Uprising
(children of the gods, #2)
by Jessica Therrien
Released |May 28th 2013 by ZOVA Books|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Author|

Add to Goodreads

Elyse has done everything she can to protect her friends from The Council's reach. As long as they believe she's dead, she has time to rest and train for war. And war is inevitable.
When Kara arrives with the news that Anna and Chloe have been captured, Elyse is faced with the realization that no one is safe until The Council is stopped and Christoph is destroyed. She doesn't need a prophecy to tell her to lead an army. Christoph has done the one thing that ensures she'll fight to the death. He's threatened the people she loves.
It will take more than the words of an oracle to help them fight against the most powerful Descendant alive. To break The Council's oppression and rise up against a plot so many years in the making, Elyse will need to get dangerously close to her enemy. So close, in fact, she may not survive.

Uprising is a sequel that I've been really excited to check out and to see how everything would continue on. I really enjoyed the first book and was really happy to receive and eARC of Uprising (Thanks Jessica!) and to be back into the world of the Descendants. I love Greek Mythology and books that incorporate it within the story and I think the author does a fantastic job with her take on it. I really like how each Descendant has a different 'gift' from the god they're from. And so many awesome and shocking twists happened throughout the book that left me wanting more, but I did have one issue with the book, which made the rating drop. But overall, I really enjoyed the story and can't wait to find out what happens next!

Let me, first, start off saying that I love the connection between William and Elyse! The amount of love they showed to each other really had my heart melting. Even though I had some issues with Elyse (which I will discuss later), I still loved the way she treated William. And William is the ultimate sweetheart! He's very kind and gentle when it comes to her, but not even just his love for Elyse, he's really brave :) And I really liked that in his character. And in this installment, my thoughts on Kara really changed. I came to like her a lot because she had some major development going throughout the book. But through all this, war has descended on the Descendants (haha!) and many battles were fought. I thought the action within this book was amazing and I could not get enough of it! There were a lot of battles fought between Elyse and her people and Christoph with the Council. I didn't know what to expect. So many of the characters stepped up in and did they're part in helping fight for their freedom.

But the one thing I did not like in this book was Elyse, which is hard for me to say because I really liked her in book 1. I thought she was brave in book 1. Finding out that you're a descendant from a god has to be a hard pill to swallow, but in this book she seemed cowardly. And that is a pet peeve of mine, being cowardly and scared to step up to the plate. She had a hard time stepping into the role as the leader of the people fighting for freedom. That wasn't my MAIN issue though. My issue was the 'BIG SECRET' and how she kept it a secret from the one person it should have been told to. That really annoyed me! Eventually it was told to the right person, but I still couldn't get over the fact that she kept it secret to begin with. Also, her being in the state that she was in, she constantly tried to sacrifice herself and be put in a danger situation. Did you not care about the risks or the consequences of getting hurt? She never wanted anyone to be hurt because she couldn't handle it if something happened to them. Well, don't you think they felt the same way about you? But towards the end she did step up and realize what she needed to do. She pretty much sucked up.

Okay, rant over... lol

But overall, I really enjoyed the story! I really hope that I can reconnect with Elyse and feel the way I felt about her in book 1 because I thought she was awesome then. Once again, the action was amazing! And I'm DYING to know what happens next, especially with William. Will he get it back? I'm so curious! Wait...IS there a next book? I don't see it on goodreads yet!


6 comments:

  1. The connection with William and Elyse sounds great. I haven't heard a lot about this one, but need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William and Elyse sound awesome together, but I know how you feel about cowards-- I feel the same way. o.O I haven't started this series yet, but I may have to give it a shot. Awesome review, Janina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so frustrating! I wanted her to be so much stronger than she was.

      Delete
  3. I've seen this series around but still haven't started it! :) I also love everything that has to do with Greek Mythology so this one will hopefully be one of my next reads. Anyhow I'm sorry to hear that about Elyse especially cause you loved her in the first book. Great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you check out the series :) It's a pretty good spin on mythology!

      Delete