Pages


Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Last Academy by Anne Applegate

The Last Academy
by Anne Applegate
Released |April 30th 2013 by Point|
Edition |eARC|
Source |Netgalley|

Add to Goodreads

Curtis Sittenfeld's PREP meets THE SIXTH SENSE in this spine-tingling, unforgettable debut.
Camden Fisher arrives at boarding school haunted by a falling-out with her best friend back home. But the manicured grounds of Lethe Academy are like nothing Cam has ever known. There are gorgeous, preppy boys wielding tennis rackets, and circles of girls with secrets to spare. Only . . . something is not quite right. One of Cam's new friends mysteriously disappears, but the teachers don't seem too concerned. Cam wakes up to strangers in her room, who then melt into the night. She is suddenly plagued by odd memories, and senses there might be something dark and terrible brewing. But what? The answer will leave Cam--and readers--stunned and breathless, in this thrilling debut novel.

The last Academy was a book that had me really curious to know what it was about. I love academy books, so I felt that I needed to give this one a try. This book was nothing like I expected. I actually didn't really know what to expect, but what I got was definitely not it. As I was reading the book, I didn't really understand what the book was truly about. Nothing significant was happening and it left me confused. It seemed like your average typical high school story. So to some it up, this book was kind of a let down for me. Nothing interesting happened until the last few chapters of the book, which was the very end. If the entire book had been like the last few chapters, I would have enjoyed it, but they weren't.


With all that being said, the book had its enjoyable moments. This was an easy read and I flew through it, but it was bland. There weren't any 'wow' moments. Camden, the protagonist, was your basic teenager. She's sent off to boarding school and there she runs into your typical mean girls who likes to torture her. She also meets a guy and they start to date. Average stuff! The entire time I'm reading the book, I'm waiting for that one moment that would blow my mind. The ending is what really saved this book form being a one star review. The ending was pretty good. It wasn't OMG good, but it did bring something new. I thought the ending was a pretty interesting twist that I kind of new was there, but just didn't know the details and the story behind it. We learned about the academy itself, the students and why things are the way they are, which was the best part of the story.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed in this book and had hoped it would have a lot more in store. I did find it pretty interesting at times, but just wish there was a lot more action, romance, and twist to the story.


4 comments:

  1. At least it kept you interested even if it was missing the something special to make it wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch I'm so sorry you didn't like this one. I had some high hopes for it. I'm glad that the book had some interesting moments though! great review Janina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it Tanja, but i don't think it was for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh, no! I got so excited when I read the word "academy". I just love anything boarding-school related! Anyway, the rest of the synopsis didn't really appeal to me and your review convinced me this one probably won't be for me. The review was really good, though. Perfect length :)

    ReplyDelete