Pages


Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

The Book of Broken Hearts
by Sarah Ockler 
Released |May 21st 2013 by Simon Pulse|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Edelweiss|
Add to Goodreads

When all signs point to heartbreak, can love still be a rule of the road? A poignant and romantic novel from the author of Bittersweet and Twenty Boy Summer.
Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.
Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?
Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?
Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking.


This is my first Sarah Ockler book and I really enjoyed it! I will definitely have to check out more of the author's work. The Book of Broken Hearts was filled with a great amount of romance, but there was more to the story than that. I loved the emotions that were incorporated into the story between Jude and her father. Jude is the youngest of four and is spending the summer with her father, who is suffering from early onset Alzheimer's, to rebuild up her father's old motorcycle, Valentina. But wait, the person they hire to do the rebuilding is none other than Emilio Vargas. The youngest of the Vargas brothers that Jude and her sisters swore never talk to or become involve with at all cost! This book was filled with so much entertainment, heartbreak, and romance all wrapped up in one! Thanks so much to Edelweiss for a review copy of The Book of Broken Hearts. All thoughts are my honest opinion.


In the beginning, I wasn't all that into the book. I didn't know whether or not I was going to like it because I wasn't connecting with any of the characters. But that all changed after getting about 15% into the story. And once I got there, I could not put the book down! I became intrigued with Jude, Emilio, the sisters and especially Jude's father. I really admired Jude for being the strong person that she was. It could not have been easy dealing with the issue of your father forgetting who you were or him not remembering is way home. The fact that she gave up a summer filled with friends to simply spend time with her father and do something that he loves to do was special in my eyes. Not everyone would do that! You could see the pain the Alzheimer was causing the family and the people around them. But the relationship between Jude and her father was really sweet. I really liked the connection that they had as father and daughter!

And then we have Emilio, who I adored! Jude definitely prejudged him from the very beginning because of all the things her sisters have to her about the Vargas family. Two of Jude's dated a couple of Emilio's older brothers and both got their heartbroken. So you can just imagine all the things they were filling Jude's ears with! But I really liked Emilio. He was so caring and sweet, but also cunning and conceded at times :) The romance between the was awesome and I loved every single moment of it! From their constant bickering in the beginning to the actual friendship and romance that developed, it left me completely satisfied. And I also liked how Emilio didn't judge Jude's father like some of Jude's "close friends". That showed his true character!

Overall, I thought the book was really good and I would definitely recommend it if you like these kind of stories. I devoured this book and wanted more when the story finally ended :) I can't wait to check out some of the author's other books now!


5 comments:

  1. I loved the relationship between Jude and her father as well-so cute in a genre that doesn't always have the best parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to see that in the story because some people wouldn't take the time like that to spend with family!

      Delete
  2. Emilio and the family relationship sounds good, and glad you enjoyed. I have been flip flopping if I should read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilio was amazing :) I really enjoyed The Book of Broken Hearts. Great review!

    ReplyDelete