Pages


Friday, August 3, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
(Delirium, #1)
by Lauren Oliver
Released |February 1st 2011 by HarperTeen|
Edition |Paperback|
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


I don't know how to feel about this book. I liked it, but I didn't. I liked the whole concept with the way the book twisted everything we believe in about love into something so evil and infectious and wrong. But then there was also things that I like about it that kept me flipping the pages!



I don't really know how I feel about the characters. But I did like Hana and Alex, but I didn't really just fall in love with the characters like I usually do. Lena got on my nerves throughout most the book, except towards the end when she started actually doing things and standing up for herself. Other than that she was pretty much a bore. To me she didn't really have a backbone to say how she really felt and do what she felt was right. I know she had her inner struggle going on and all, but it took her damn near the whole book to finally do something about it. I also didn't like how just, boom, I am now all of sudden in love with Alex?! But anyways, enough with the boring about her, she did have some positives.


Like I said before, I didn't start liking Lena unless I about 3/4 of the way through the book. She finally started standing up for herself and when she figured out the truth about her mom, I thought she reacted just the way she should of. It showed she had true emotions instead of the ones she thought she should feel. The government had the people's mind so screwed up, it was sad to see. I thought Hana was awesome and I hope to see her in Pandemonium.

This book did keep me entertained. It wasn't all that suspenseful but it did have its moments and I really enjoyed the romance between Alex and Lena! I did like the book and enjoyed it. But it took me a while to truly get into it and I felt it could of been better. But that last chapter of the book just pissed me off! lol I really hope that Alex isn't what my mind wants to believe because I thought he was awesome and he was such a sweet heart and always looked out for Lena's best interest.

I'm glad I already Pandemonium so I can continue the series :) and to see what happens next! Hopefully it doesn't have an ending like this one.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you can find things to like about this book even though you also didn't like it. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Pandemonium a lot more then this one but not too too much because there was another cliff hanger and it killeddd me! Great review =)

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Did you read the prequel Hana? If not you totally should . I think it may change your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Paige - I enjoyed Pandemonium a lot more. There was a lot more action in there, and Lena definitely grew into a much stronger character. There was also a lot more action, so I hope you enjoy the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully I enjoy Pandemonium more :) And I thought I had the prequel, but I going to have to go through my ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had mixed feelings about Delerium. I liked the idea behind it...but I found myself kind of dragging... you know. Some books you're sad when they end...but this one, I couldn't' wait to be done with it. I just wanted it to be over so I wouldn't have to read another page. It wasn't that it was awful...I just really had to work through it. I felt the same way about Eve

    ReplyDelete