Pages


Friday, January 25, 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection 
(The Selection, #1)
by Kiera Cass
Released |April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen|
Edition |Audiobook|

Source |Library|
Add to Goodreads

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I don't know how to start of this review. The book was okay. There was some good about the book, but I have to say that there was a lot more bad. When I first heard of this book, I was super excited to read it and then I started hearing a lot of mixed reviews which started making me skeptical, but I knew I would still read it. On to the review!


The first thing that turned me off from this book was the 'love' between America and Aspen, since it pretty much smacked you in the face within the first few chapters. The romance between the two was a bit ridiculous to me. It was too lovey dovey and cliche. I couldn't really get into their relationship, even in the beginning. The romance between the two didn't keep my interest at all. I had many eye rolling moments to say the least.

America isn't a memorable character in my opinion. I felt as though she was selfish and only thought of herself and her feelings and no one else's at times. She actually kind of annoyed me throughout the majority of the book. Sometime she was okay, but at others..Eh. To be blunt, she's boring. Towards the end she started to get better though, but she still wasn't a 'great' character. I also didn't understand how America would be selfish enough to let her family continue to suffer by not wanting to enter the selection, but was all gun ho that Aspen siblings could possibly win because they could have a better life? And she went because HE thought it would be good for her...What kind of mess it that?! What happened to your Mother's opinion? And Aspen's insecurities about not being able to be the provide because America's family is a step above his continuously annoyed me.

And for those who thinks this is like The Hunger Games, I didn't see an ounce of that. Just throwing that out there. If anything, this reminds me of Wither by Lauren DeStefano, but this book has nothing on that one. Just saying...


Just about the only thing I enjoyed was Maxon. He was the only light and entertainment in the book. I thought he was pretty good character. And the rebels kind of brought some excitement, for the brief moments things happened. Things were getting better in the book and I started enjoying it slightly and then Aspen appeared again and I started to get annoyed, again. I just don't feel the connection between America and Aspen. He's so boring, I mean really, all he and America ever do is kiss when they're around. They rarely talk like Maxon and Aspen do.

I suppose I'm Team Maxon then, because he was the only light in this book :) He was caring and showed his feelings. And you could really see the development in his character. He was a nice guy to get to know and I'm anxious to see what America does with him. He doesn't hold his feelings back or get angry with her because she's  of a lower class. He's fair and takes into consideration her opinions. And the ending was not that exciting. I was like 'Is this it?' But anyways, the book wasn't all bad, but it not a top read. I probably will continue and read the sequel because I really would like to know who America picks.



2 comments:

  1. I liked Maxon as well, but I liked the rest of the book more than you seemed to. But thanks for honest review... I can see where you are coming from with Aspen... I was def not on his side after Maxon entered the picture.

    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY someone who agrees with me! YES the beginning romance was so in the face I was shocked! I did NOT like Aspen, and I do NOT like America either! I also believe her to be selfish. As for Maxon, I did enjoy his character but I did not like how he spoke in such formal old english style. great review!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete